GLUP Amendments and Special GLUP Studies
The General Land Use Plan (GLUP) is the primary policy guide for development in Arlington. Modifications to the GLUP may be requested in the form of an amendment or study.
A GLUP amendment can be requested to accommodate the development of property.
GLUP Amendment Submission Requirements
- The following materials must be submitted in the form of a letter with accompanying graphics, if necessary:
- Property location and size
- Current and proposed GLUP designations for site and surrounding sites
- Current and proposed Zoning designations for site and surrounding sites
- Transportation information; proximity to transit, potential new streets or connections, existing vehicle counts on all frontages and pedestrian counts
- Other information necessary for staff analysis, to be determined by staff based on the particular site
Special GLUP Studies
A Special GLUP Study (one-page overview)(PDF, 58KB)
is needed in instances where there is no adopted plan or where the GLUP amendment request is inconsistent with the guidance of the relevant adopted plan.
- You must complete a Special GLUP Study Application.
- From the Create drop-down menu, select Planning Application.
- Special GLUP Study Process
- Scheduling of Tier 1 Initial Reviews follows a spring and fall review schedule as described in the Special GLUP Study Process document above. Scheduling of Tier 2 Initial Reviews is determined by the Planning Division’s work plan and staff resources.
- Map of Special GLUP Studies 2009-2018
- Fee Schedules provide the range of fees charged for each type of application or activity related to land development in Arlington. Fees cover permitting, plan review, enforcement, inspection, service delivery, performance agreements and conditions. There are separate fee schedules for Inspection Services Division (ISD), Zoning and the Department of Environmental Services (DES). Some permits involve fees from more than one schedule.
Special GLUP Study Submission Requirements
- Statement of Justification, including a narrative and exhibits, describing the following:
- The property location and size;
- Current and proposed GLUP designations for site and surrounding sites;
- Current and proposed zoning designations for site and surrounding sites; and
- A detailed explanation and justification for the requested GLUP designation, including consistency with a relevant Sector or Area Plan (if applicable), consistency with surrounding properties and any other land use considerations applicable to the project site for staff consideration.
- Transportation information, including a narrative and exhibits – proximity to transit, potential new streets or connections, existing counts on all frontages, pedestrian counts; and
- Other information necessary for staff analysis, to be determined in consultation with staff based on the site.
Initial Reviews – In Progress
750 23rd St. S. (Melwood)
A request was submitted for the subject properties located on 23rd Street South between South Hayes Street and South Grant Street to change the GLUP designation from "Public" to "Low-Medium" Residential with an associated rezoning from C-1 and R-6 to RA8-18.
GLUP Studies – In Progress
South Eads Street Residential
A request was submitted for the subject properties located on South Eads Street between 22nd St. S. and 24th St. S. in Crystal City to expand the Crystal City Sector Plan boundary on the GLUP to include the southern parcel of the site with an associated rezoning from C-2 and C-1-0 to C-O-Crystal City for both parcels.
2000 North Glebe Road (Sunrise Senior Living)
A request was submitted for the subject property located at on N. Glebe Road several blocks south of the Lee Highway Corridor at the intersection of N. Glebe Road and 20th St. N. to change the GLUP designation from “Low” Residential to “Low-Medium” Residential with an associated rezoning from R-6 to RA8-18.
A request was submitted to change the area shown in red, to amend the GLUP from “Service Commercial” (Personal and business services. Generally one to four stories, with special provisions within the Columbia Pike Special Revitalization District) to “High” Office-Apartment-Hotel (Office density up to 3.8 FAR, apartment density up to 4.8 FAR and hotel density up to 3.8 FAR). In addition, there’s an associated rezoning request to move from C-2 (Service Commercial – Community Business District) to C-O (Mixed-Use District).
Past Special GLUP Studies
GLUP Studies Map
This map displays in progress and completed Special GLUP Studies, as well as Initial Reviews. Enter an address, use your location, or choose "show map options" to filter by category. Once you've selected options, click Search to update the map.