The Plan for Fall
Arlington collects about 50,000 cubic yards of leaves every year. Months ahead, staff analyzes historic data, tree types and density, weather forecasts, state forestry forecasts and resident feedback to develop the leaf collection schedule.
Did You Know? You can compost leaves in your yard, creating nutrient-rich mulch for spring flower beds and trees. Leaves collected by the County are turned into mulch available for free pick-up or delivery at a nominal cost.
Fall 2022 Leaf Vacuum Schedule
Two Passes per Civic Association Zone
Routes run Monday – Saturday including holidays except Thanksgiving.
Two passes per civic association. (Arlington civic associations map)
View the in-season leaf vacuum collection status map
- Sign up for leaf schedule Listserv email updates.
- Look for neighborhood signs posted three to seven days before each pass by civic association. The first pass is in November (bright yellow); the second pass is in December (orange).
- Call 703-228-6565 for the recorded schedule by civic association.
- Missed a collection? Bag leaves for the next weekly collection or wait for the second vacuum pass.
How to Prepare for Vacuuming
- Rake leaves to curb the weekend before the posted start of zone collection (residents with contract lawn services should plan ahead).
- Don’t block roadways with leaves more than seven days in advance of a scheduled vacuum leaf collection as it can interfere with traction, blocks traffic, limits street parking and is a potential fire hazard.
- Pile leaves away from storm drains, water meter covers, low wires and parked cars.
- Remove stones, litter, branches and other debris from leaves to prevent equipment damage and worker injuries.
- Don’t place leaves in plastic bags or trash carts.
- Never park your car on leaf piles — it’s a fire hazard.
Biodegradable Bag / Green Cart Collection
Leaf bags are collected year-round on your regular weekly curbside collection day. Leaves can, naturally, also go in the green yard waste cart.
How to Prepare for Collection
- Place paper leaf bags/green cart at the curb no earlier than 5 p.m. the day before your regular collection day and no later than 6 a.m. on collection day.
- Remove any stones, litter and other debris from your leaves.
- Close bags by folding them top down.
- Never use plastic bags for yard waste—they can't be composted and won't be collected
Biodegradable paper leaf bags are available at most hardware stores. Or you can use any bags left over from the spring.
Free paper yard waste bags are available from Arlington County during posted spring and fall seasonal dates.
Missed or Partial Pickup
Report a missed or partial pick-up after 5 p.m. on collection day online by using the "Residential Curbside Collections" missed collections form or by calling 703-228-5000 Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.