Income and Rent Limits

Household income limits apply to the County’s Home Ownership and Rental Assistance programs. Households must meet income requirements to qualify for these programs and for Affordable Rental Units in the County. Income limits vary by program and by household size.

Incomes by Percent of Median for Affordable Rental Units

The income limits and maximum rents allowed for most Affordable Rental Units in Arlington County are listed below, effective April 1, 2021. The income and rent limits are based on median income statistics for the Washington-Arlington-Alexandria Metro Area issued annually by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).

If you’re interested in applying for an affordable unit, contact the apartment complex directly as some properties are subject to federal requirements that keep maximum income levels lower than the County levels listed below.

Household Size
80%
60%
50%
40% 30%
1
$72,240
$54,180
$45,150
$36,120 $27,090
2
$82,560
$61,920
$51,600
$41,280 $30,960
3
$92,880
$69,660
$58,050
$46,440 $34,830
4
$103,200
$77,400
$64,500
$51,600 $38,700
5
$111,520
$83,640
$69,700
$55,760 $41,820
6
$119,760
$89,820
$74,850
$59,880 $44,910

Record of year-by-year percentage change in Area Median Income since 1997: AMI percent increases 1997 to 2018

Rents by Percent of Median Income for Affordable Rental Units

Unit Size
80%
60%
50%
40% 30%
Efficiency
$1,806
$1,354
$1,128
$903 $677
1
$1,935
$1,451
$1,209
$967 $725
2
$2,322
$1,741
$1,451
$1,161 $870
3
$2,684
$2,013
$1,677
$1,342 $1,006
4
$2,994
$2,245
$1,871
$1,497 $1,122

Note: If tenants pay utilities, the rent charged will be adjusted downward from the amounts above by the estimated costs of those utilities.

Housing Choice Voucher Program Income Guidelines

In the Housing Choice Voucher Program, 75 percent of the families must be less than or equal to an extremely low income. The remaining 25 percent must fall at or below a very low income.

Income Limits
Extremely Low Income
Family Size Income Limit Family Size Income Limit
1 $27,100 4 $38,700
2 $31,000 5 $41,800
3 $34,850 6 $44,900
Very Low Income
Family Size Income Limit Family Size Income Limit
1 $45,150 4 $64,500
2 $51,600 5 $69,700
3 $58,050 6 $74,850
Income limits subject to change.

2020 MIPAP Income Limits

Home Ownership Programs have different income requirements. Following are the income limits for the County’s Moderate Income Purchase Assistance Program (MIPAP).

Household Size
Maximum Household Income
1
$70,560
2
$80,640
3
$90,720
4
$100,800
5
$108,880
6
$116,960
7
$125,040
8
$133,120

2020 CSBG Income Limits

Community Services Block Grant limits:

Household Size
Maximum Household Income
1
$25,520
2
$34,480
3
$43,440
4
$52,400
5
$61,360
6
$70,320
7
$79,280
8
$88,240