Stormwater Management Ordinance

The Arlington County Permit Office is  CLOSED for in-person customer service. Many services are available online. Learn more.

This page has information about the Land Disturbing Activity/Stormwater permit requirements for building projects.  Please note that the requirements for the LDA permit were updated in September, 2021.

The County adopted a new Stormwater Management Ordinance, Chapter 60  in response to comprehensive new Virginia stormwater regulations which became effective in 2014.

Stormwater management plays a major role in Arlington’s efforts toward flood resiliency.

Do I Need a LDA/SWM Permit and How Do I Obtain One?

You will need a Land Disturbing Activity/Stormwater permit for your project if the total disturbed area is 2,500 square feet or more. (How do I calculate land disturbance area?)

  • If your total disturbed area is less than 2,000 square feet, you do not need a LDA permit.
  • If your total disturbed area is between 2,000 and 2,499 square feet, you may need to obtain a survey of the disturbed area with survey markings on your site to ensure it’s not larger than 2,500 square feet.

LDA/SWM Permit Requirements

Note: This permit application and review process is anticipated to move online in a future phase of Permit Arlington.

Apply for a LDA/SWM permit via the ePlan Review Portal.

Review the LDA/SWM permit Minimum Acceptance Checklist.

Submit an erosion and sediment control plan for your project.

Submit a landscape conservation plan.

Design stormwater management for your project using the information in the Stormwater Guidance manual.

Learn more about the LDA/SWM permit on the Overview page.