Arlington Parks & Recreation is looking for enthusiastic, thoughtful and engaged instructors (i.e. independent contractors) for its large and diverse set of recreation classes, including classes promoted in Enjoy Arlington and 55+ Guide. Contractors must be at least 18 years old, have the appropriate education, training and certification, and have a minimum of one year or more of instructor experience in their topic area.
Check out the variety of recreation class options we currently offer or go to the latest Enjoy Arlington and 55+ Guide.
Please note that we do not accept proposals for aquatics or gymnastics instruction through this process. If you are interested in teaching in those areas, please visit the County’s career webpage to learn more about County employment opportunities, including aquatics and gymnastics instructors.
Enjoy Arlington Current Class Options
- Creative Arts
- Dog Obedience
- Fiber Arts
- Martial Arts
- Social Skills
- Therapeutic Recreation
*not accepting new contractors at this time
55+ Current Class Options
- Agility & Fitness
- 55+ Meditation
- Art Appreciation
- Let’s Get FIt
- 55+ Zumba
- Encore Chorale
- 55+ Aqua Exercise
- Chair Yoga
- Core Conditioning
- 55+ Senior Boot Camp
- 55+ Seated Exercise
- Happy Feet
- 55+ Painting Classes
- Kukuwa Dance Workout
- Healthy Hips and Shoulder
- Sr. Segments in 60
- 55+ Yoga
- 55+ Pilates
- Cardio Boxing
- Dance Fusion & Rhythms
- 55+ Tai Chi
Enjoy Arlington is run on a quarterly schedule: winter is generally Jan. through March, spring is generally April through June; summer is generally July through Aug.; and fall is generally Sept. through Dec. Specific start dates for each quarter vary each session. Program calendars are generally available in July for the fiscal year that runs July 1 through June 30.
Therapeutic Recreation (TR) classes are a specialized subset of adaptive programming for individuals with disabilities and run on the same cycle as the Enjoy Arlington program.
Arlington Parks & Recreation also runs a robust 55+ class program, which offers a variety of classes throughout the year for adults ages 55 and older. The 55+ Program is run on a quarterly schedule; Winter (Dec., Jan., Feb.), Spring (March, April, May), Summer (June, July, Aug.), Fall (Sept., Oct., Nov.).
Starting in late 2021, classes at Long Bridge Aquatics Center will be offered. If you are interested in that location, please specify that in your proposal.
To apply, potential contractors must submit an Initial Application for Class Instructors (IACI) Please review this application in its entirety as it details specific County requirements. Proposals shall be evaluated on a rolling basis for services required in upcoming class seasons. Please also ensure that you meet the established minimum instructor certification requirements indicated here prior to submitting your application.
Please submit applications (completed IACI form) via email to the following individuals:
Enjoy Arlington classes – Laurie Reid
Community Arts classes (also listed in Enjoy Arlington) – Dawn Benedetto
Therapeutic Recreation (TR) classes - April Rosenthal
55+ classes - Sidney Reid
If you have interest in teaching classes in multiple categories, please copy all applicable points of contact noted to ensure proper receipt.
Applications must be sent in a complete package; incomplete packages will not be considered.
Staff will review submissions for qualifications and program needs. Applicants that meet the initial review requirements will be interviewed.
Upon receipt of the IACI or at any time during the interview process, applicants may be asked to provide additional information such as, but not limited to, the following:
- Copy of current certificate of insurance.
- Additional teaching resume(s).
- Sample class syllabus/structure.
- Offer a demonstration or audition (at no cost to the County).
If selected as a vendor, Arlington Parks and Recreation shall:
- Issue a Standard Form Agreement (SFA) that must be signed by the contractor and an authorized representative of the County.
- Issue a Purchase Order (PO) reflecting the estimated total cost of services required for the current Fiscal Year (which runs July 1-Jun 30). (This PO number must be reflected on all invoices to ensure proper and timely payment).
- Handle all matters related to participant registration, unless specifically negotiated otherwise.
- Provide marketing through the appropriate catalog and/or Arlington Parks and Recreation’s webpage.
- Provide facility coordination.
If selected, the contractor shall:
- Submit a completed W9 (required) and direct deposit form (optional).
- Complete a background check with the County (for a fee of $10).
- Provide a certificate of insurance, as specified in the IACI.
Arlington Parks and Recreation and the contractor shall jointly:
- Coordinate and schedule classes and determine minimum and maximum class enrollment levels.
Arlington Parks and Recreation pays Enjoy Arlington class vendors 60% of gross revenue. Arlington Parks and Recreation will pay, upon receipt of invoice, the vendor percent of class revenue. Only under special circumstances will payment percentages be altered. Vendors will not be paid for classes cancelled due to low enrollment, building closures, or inclement weather.
Thank you for your interest in teaching in Arlington.