The Arlington County Permit Office is CLOSED for in-person customer service. Many services are available online. Learn more.
The Code Modification process should be your last resort. You should always attempt to work with the code official and other professional consultants to find code-conforming alternatives.
That said, you may formally request a Code Modification if any of the following criteria apply and you have exhausted other means of recourse:
- Your building design plan has been denied by a plan reviewer.
- Your building construction plan has been denied by an inspector.
- A construction code violation has been identified by the County.
- You’d like to request alternative methods and materials that would provide an equivalent level of safety and protection prior to submitting a permit application.
- Applications will be checked for completeness within two (2) business days.
- You will receive an email with further instruction if your application is incomplete or not compliant with requirements.
- A member of the Inspection Services Division will contact the applicant within two (2) weeks of acceptance from the completeness check.
- Review times do not include completeness check or final processing windows.
- Depending on the scope, some projects may require additional documents or an inspection. Applicants may receive an email with review comments or requests for additional documents.
- Once a decision is made, an email copy of the decision will be provided within five (5) business days (depending on caseloads and request completion). If your request is denied, you may submit a separate Building Code Appeal.
Fee schedules provide the range of fees charged for each type of application or activity related to land development in Arlington. Fees cover permitting, plan review, enforcement, inspection, service delivery, performance agreements, and conditions. There are separate fee schedules for the Inspection Services Division (ISD), Zoning, and the Department of Environmental Services (DES). Some permits involve fees from more than one schedule.