Civil Actions and FAQs

Civil Actions in the Arlington Circuit Court

The Circuit Court has concurrent jurisdiction with the General District Court over civil claims from $4,500 to $25,000 and exclusive jurisdiction over civil cases with claims of more than $25,000. The Circuit Court also has jurisdiction over divorces, adoptions, disputes over land use and ownership, estates, contracts and other civil matters.

The Civil Division of the Clerk’s office is located at 1425 North Courthouse Road, Suite 6700, Arlington Virginia 22201. We can be reached between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. at

Frequently Asked Questions

What is your mailing address?

Our mailing address is: Clerk of the Circuit Court, Attn: Civil Division, 1425 North Courthouse Road, Suite 6700, Arlington VA 22201.

What are your office hours for filing civil cases?

The Clerk’s office is open to accept civil filings between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.

Can I e-file my complaint?

Effective August, 2016, Arlington County Circuit Court now allows attorneys licensed by the Virginia State Bar to e-file new civil cases. For more information, please visit our Truefiling page.

Do you accept email or fax filings?

We do not accept email or faxed documents for filing.

Do I have to file a cover sheet with my complaint?

The Clerk’s office requires the filing of a civil coversheet when you file a complaint or other initial filing.  Kindly fill out and include this cover page with all civil filings: Civil coversheet(PDF, 144KB)

Does the Clerk’s office provide sample complaints?

In general, the Clerk’s office does not provide sample complaints; however, we do provide sample no-fault divorce complaints.  The Virginia Supreme Court has made select forms available on their website.  Other sample forms are available in the Arlington County Law Library located on the first floor of the courthouse, as well as on the state self-help website.

How much are the filing fees for my case?

The filing fee of your civil action will depend on the type of case being filed. Please utilize the Virginia Circuit Court Filing Fee calculator to determine the amount of the filing fee for your civil action.  If you have any questions after using the filing fee calculator, please call the Civil Division at 703-228-7010

Can I see information about my case online?

Yes, civil case information is available online through the Virginia Courts Case Information website.  Attorneys can also subscribe to our Secure Remote Access system to obtain access to non-confidential civil and criminal court records filed in the Arlington Circuit Court. For more information, please visit our Truefiling page.

Can the Clerk’s office recommend an attorney to me?

The Clerk’s office cannot provide attorney recommendations; however, you can contact the Arlington County Bar Association’s Lawyer Referral program at 703-228-3390 if you need a lawyer referral.

Will I have an attorney appointed if I cannot afford one for my civil case?

The Clerk’s office does not provide court appointed attorneys; however, you can contact Legal Services of Northern Virginia at 703-778-6800 to see if you qualify for the assistance of counsel.

How do I request a summons from the clerk’s office?

Preparation of a summons may be requested in writing when a civil case is initially filed. To have a summons returned by mail, please include a self-addressed stamped envelope. All requests for preparation of a summons to the Clerk’s office must be in writing and include a copy of the complaint to be served. Summonses are typically available for pick-up or return by mail within five (5) business days after receipt of request by the Clerk’s office.

How do I request a trial date in my civil case?

Pursuant to the Local Rules and Preferred Practices(PDF, 341KB) of the Arlington Circuit Court, trial dates for civil cases are assigned on Term day. Terms of court are held pursuant to the local rules. Either party can request their case be placed on the next Term Day by filing a Praecipe requesting the matter be placed on the next Term Day.  If you have any other questions, please call the Civil Division at 703-228-7010

When are civil motions heard in Arlington Circuit Court?

Civil motions are heard on Fridays at 10 a.m.

How do I set my case on the Friday Civil Motion’s docket?

In accordance with the Local Rules and Preferred Practices(PDF, 341KB) Motions that may be heard within thirty (30) minutes or less can be placed on the Friday Motions docket at 10 a.m. by filing a Notice requesting that the Motion be placed on the docket. Filing requirements are found in Section 3.3 of the Local Rules(PDF, 341KB)

What are your local procedures with regards to Orders of Publication?

All counsel or unrepresented parties seeking entry of an order of publication must submit an Affidavit for Order of Publication and a proposed Order of Publication to the Clerk’s office. Please make a check payable to Washington Times for
-Show Cause Orders $55 for a 2-time run
-Divorce Notices $30 for a 4-time run
-Name Change $30 for a 4-time run
-Domestic Orders $55 for a 4-time run
-Adoptions $55 for a 4-time run
-Estate Notices $25 for a 1-time run

-If your filing type is not listed above, The Washington Times will bill you directly.


I need to appeal the decision in my case. Where do I file the notice of appeal? Can I request a transcript?

Notices of appeal to either the Court of Appeals, or the Virginia Supreme Court are filed at the Clerk’s office. Please include $20.00 with each notice of appeal.  Once the notice is filed, the Clerk’s office will prepare the record and forward to the appellate court within the statutory time frame. Please refer to the rules of the Supreme Court for more complete information pertaining to appeal deadlines, bonds and other associated fees.

The Circuit Court does not provide court reporters for civil cases.  If you need a transcript of any proceeding in a civil matter, you must retain the services of a court reporter prior to the proceeding.

How do I request copies?