Vehicle Personal Property Tax Exemptions

Tax Exemptions

All vehicles normally garaged or regularly parked overnight in Arlington must be registered with the Commissioner of Revenue’s Office. However, you may qualify for one of the following vehicle personal property tax exemptions: 

Student exemption

If you are a full time student with a vehicle registered in a state that has personal property taxes, you may be exempt from Arlington County personal property taxes.

Government exemption

Any motor vehicle owned by the State or any political subdivision or by the United States government may be exempt from Arlington County personal property taxes.

Diplomat exemption

If you are a foreign diplomat and your vehicle is registered with the United States Department of State, you may be exempt from Arlington County personal property taxes.

Military exemption

If you are an active-duty member of the United States military and you have a legal residence outside of Virginia, you and/or your spouse, may be exempt from Arlington County personal property taxes. For additional information visit Active Duty Military Personal Property Exemption.

Military Exemption for 100% Disabled American Veterans

The Virginia Constitution provides veterans who have 100 per cent service-connected, permanent, and total disabilities with a tax exemption for an  automobile or pickup truck that is registered for personal use.  The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs is responsible for determining a veteran’s disability rating.  Please fill out the application(PDF, 197KB) and follow the instructions on how to submit it to our office.


For more information about personal property tax relief, or to find out if you qualify for an exemption, email the Commissioner of Revenue’s Office or call 703-228-3135.