New Housing with Retail Approved for Courthouse Neighborhood
Published on June 18, 2016
- 90 condominiums in 14-story building
- Street-level retail
- Four units will be committed affordable for life of building
- In-building wireless, LEED Silver certification
The Arlington County Board today approved a new development at 2000 Clarendon Boulevard, in the Courthouse neighborhood, with 90 condominiums, four of them committed affordable units, and street-level retail.
"This project will put homes — including affordable homes available for purchase -- and retail options within walking distance of Courthouse Metro," County Board Chair Libby Garvey said. "It was identified as a key redevelopment site in our Courthouse Sector Plan Addendum, and will make the neighborhood more vibrant by adding a well-designed, mixed-use building with smart, sustainable features."
The Board voted 4 to 1 to approve the site plan and to rezone the site from "C-2" (Service Commercial—Community Business District), and "RA8-18" (Multiple-Family Dwelling District), to "C-O" (Mixed Use District), and "RA4.8" (Multiple-Family Dwelling District).
Street level retail, new affordable housing
The 14-story project, developed by Bush Construction Corporation, will replace an existing office building with a new podium-and-tower condominium building and underground parking. The ground floor podium will include approximately 1,900 square feet of retail space. The tower will include 86 market-rate housing units and four affordable housing units. An in-building first responder network will enhance communication quality. The project is committed to be LEED Silver and Energy Star Certification.
To read the County staff report, scroll to item No. 40 on the agenda for the June 18, 2016 County Board meeting.
The Site Plan Review Committee reviewed this site plan proposal at three meetings. The Transportation, Housing and Planning commissions all discussed the project and recommended approval.
Project at a Glance
- 14-story mixed-use building located in Courthouse neighborhood
- 106,459 square feet of residential space
- 86 residential condominium units
- 4 on-site affordable housing units that will be available for ownership to households making 80% of area median income or lower
- 1,900 square feet of ground floor retail
- 112 underground parking spaces
- 18,380-square-foot site bordered roughly by Clarendon Boulevard, North Scott Street, 15th Street North and North Courthouse Road.
- Sustainability: LEED Silver and Energy Star Certification
- In-building first responder network
Site Plan: #441
Developer: Bush Construction Corporation
Architect: WDG Architecture, PLLC