Medical Reserve Corps (MRC)
Hurricanes and Other Natural Disasters:
Thank you for your interest in assisting those affected by natural disasters such as hurricanes, floods, or earthquakes. The best two ways to assist those in need are:
- Donate your time by volunteering with the Virginia Medical Reserve Corps (Do NOT apply through the Texas MRC site: you must apply through Virginia)
- Donate money to assist organizations on the ground: Wise Giving in the Wake of Hurricane Harvey offers advice to avoid post-disaster charity scams (this applies to Hurricane Harvey and other donation efforts, too)
Remember, the need for assistance will outlast the media attention on affected areas. The need for help will be ongoing and your willingness to assist is greatly appreciated!
Volunteers Helping Build Strong, Healthy and Prepared Communities
As part of the nationwide Medical Reserve Corps (MRC) volunteer program, the Arlington County Medical Reserve Corps (ACMRC) assists the Arlington County Public Health Division (ACPHD) with public health initiatives and emergency preparedness & response.
- Age 18 or over
- Ability to attend a mandatory two-hour orientation within one-year of applying
- Resident and/or resident student in Arlington
- Committed to participating in quarterly call-down drills
- Willingness to assist in a true emergency
- Interested in staffing annual exercises, and supporting ongoing community outreach and education projects
View the Medical Reserve Corps (MRC) promotional video
How to Join the Medical Reserve Corps
By becoming an Arlington County Medical Reserve Corps (ACMRC) volunteer, you play an important role in keeping Arlington safe.
- Join ACMRC (FIRST setup a VVHS profile to apply for membership)
- Create a VA TRAIN account & register for orientation (see below)
- Please designate your Organization as Arlington County Public Health
- Then designate your Department/Division as DHS/PHD
- These acronyms stand for Department of Human Services and Public Health Division
- Then designate your Bureau/Section as MRC
- Under Groups please select – Arlington County Medical Reserve Corps then you will be able to register for classes (see our sidebar to the right or below on mobile devices)
- This makes it easy for your MRC Coordinator and Emergency Preparedness & Response (EP&R) Manager to find your training
- If you already have one, please modify your VA TRAIN account to match the above criteria; this makes it easier for us to run reports
- Attend a New Volunteer Orientation (NVO) within one-year of applying (see our Levels & Basic Trainings page for more information)
ArlingtonMRC@arlingtonva.us or call 7032284986
2100 Washington Blvd, Floor 2
Arlington, VA 22204
For public health internship practicums please use this link.