With a scheduled pick-up, brush is collected on your weekly trash collection day and recycled into wood mulch.
Curbside brush collection is for large amounts of loose brush or tree limbs.
Brush bundles that are less than 4 feet in length and weigh under 50 pounds should be placed next to the green cart for weekly yard waste and organics collection.
Note: Disposal of large quantities of brush, from the removal of trees or land clearing, is the responsibility of the homeowner.
Schedule a Pick-Up
Schedule a brush pick-up online with your water-sewer-refuse account or call 703-228-5000 Mon.-Fri., 7 a.m.-7 p.m.
Brush collection is limited to 150 appointments per service day. During peak seasons, a request may need to be scheduled for a later date. There are no pick-ups scheduled during Christmas tree collection (first two weeks of January).
How to Prepare for Pick-Up
- Brush collection can only be done curbside and brush must be loose and unbundled, NOT contained in a bag or collection container.
- Brush must be 18 inches or less in diameter and 10 feet or less in length.
- Brush must be set out by 6 a.m. on your collection day, but no earlier than 5 p.m. the day before your collection day.
- Place your brush directly on the curbside or at the edge of the street, not in the yard.
- Do not place brush in carts, bags or boxes – it must be exposed and visible as brush to driver. Large amounts should be stacked parallel to the curb.
- Don’t put brush under low-hanging power lines or tree limbs; there must be an overhead clearance of approximately 25 feet.
- Don’t place brush by parked cars. The truck needs a minimum 10-foot clearance from cars to avoid possible damage.
- Don’t stack brush against any fixed objects like poles, posts, fences, walls or buildings.
- Don’t mix lumber, trash, or yard clippings (e.g. grass, leaves, prunings, etc.) with the brush.
- Tree stumps can’t be collected as brush.
Missed or Partial Pick-Up
Report missed collections the following business day by 7 p.m. You may report a missed collection online using our missed pick-up form or by calling 703-228-5000.