Listen to Cheryl Beversdorf, Producer and Host of Aging Matters, interview with Michelle Thomas, VICAP Coordinator, here!
Virginia Insurance Counseling and Assistance Program (VICAP)
The Virginia Insurance Counseling and Assistance Program (VICAP) provides free, in-depth, one-on-one insurance counseling to Medicare Beneficiaries, their families, friends and caregivers. Trained and certified VICAP counselors provide free and confidential assistance. VICAP serves Arlington County Residents.
- Individual counseling on Medicare Parts A, B, C (health plans), Medicare Part D (prescription plans), and Medigap
- Medicare classes offered throughout the year
- Help resolving Medicare claims or billing issues
- Assistance with filing for Medicare-related benefits
- Assistance with understanding Medicaid and long-term care insurance
- Assistance with understanding eligibility and applications for low-income assistance programs
Due to COVID-19, VICAP is conducting all Medicare counseling by phone or Telehealth. To request an appointment, please call 703-228-1725 or email MedicareHelp@arlingtonva.us.
Once your appointment is confirmed, please complete VICAP’s Intake Paperwork in English or Spanish and submit it one of three ways:
- Mail to: VICAP, 2100 Washington Blvd., 4th Floor, Arlington, VA 22204
- Email MedicareHelp@arlingtonva.us
- Fax: 703-228-1174, attention VICAP
Need help preparing for a virtual Medicare counseling session?
View VICAP’s Tech Tools and Tips for a Successful Counseling Session in English or Spanish.
Volunteering with VICAP
Interested in volunteering with VICAP? There are a wide variety of positions available to fit your skills and interests! Please fill out an application here and a member of our team will be in touch to discuss next steps.
Medicare Open Enrollment October 15 – December 7
Concerned that your or your loved one’s prescription costs have increased as health needs change? Medicare prescription plans can make changes every year to their costs and formulary (list of drugs covered). The only way to be certain your existing plan can provide the best coverage for you next year is to check your coverage during Open Enrollment. Open Enrollment for Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plans and Part C Medicare Advantage Plans runs Oct. 15-Dec. 7.
Virginia Insurance Counseling and Assistance Program, (VICAP) is here to help! Call 703-228-1725 to schedule an appointment with a trained, certified VICAP Medicare counselor.
- Call 703-228-1700 (703-228-1788 TTY) or email us to learn more, or
- Visit the Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC) from 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. on business days to set up an appointment to meet with a Medicare counselor and to get information about the VICAP program.
Medicare Coverage and Federal Retiree Planning