Resident Satisfaction Survey - 2022 Results
Arlington County conducted its sixth County-wide, statistically valid community survey to measure resident satisfaction with major County services and gather input about issues facing the community. The survey was conducted by Probolsky Research, a third party independent research firm. The 2022 survey results will be used to inform budget development, guide management decisions, identify areas for improvement, and ensure the best possible customer service experience. The 2022 satisfaction survey is the first to provide data on race and equity.
Residents have a positive perception of Arlington County.
- 85% of residents are satisfied with the quality of life in Arlington County.
- 79% of residents are satisfied with the overall image of Arlington County.
- 79% of residents are satisfied with the quality of services provided by Arlington County.
- Of all County services, residents are most satisfied with the following:
- Quality of fire, rescue, and emergency medical services (84%)
- County's library systems (83%)
- County's parks/recreation/sports programs and facilities (81%)
Resident satisfaction decreased slightly since 2018, which has been a common national trend of public services due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Satisfaction with the quality of customer service received from County employees decreased from 78% in 2018 to 68% in 2022.
- Satisfaction with the quality of police services decreased by 15% in the last four years, dropping from 85% in 2018 to 70% in 2022.
- While resident satisfaction across most county services has declined since 2018, maintenance of County streets has increased in satisfaction by 17%.
Satisfaction with Arlington County services remains much higher than other communities nationally, even through the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Arlington County ranks 28% higher than the U.S. average in the quality of services provided by local governments
- The County ranks 30% higher than the U.S. average in the quality of parks/recreation/sports programs and facilities.
- The County ranks 27% higher than the U.S. average in the quality of emergency preparedness services.
Researchers identified opportunities for improvement for the County, which include:
- Transparency of the County’s decision-making process.
- Efforts to manage and plan for growth and development.
- Promoting availability, accessibility, and quality of affordable childcare and mental health services.
Survey Background and Methodology
Arlington County conducted its first comprehensive survey to assess resident satisfaction in 2004. The County will use the survey results as an additional tool to measure its performance and enable more effective management of community services. The 2022 survey, conducted by Probolsky Research, employed the following methodology:
- The survey was sent through broad communications methods to Arlington County residents, including through email, text, direct mailings, research panels, and targeted social media ads from February 2 to March 14, 2022.
- Demographics of the sample matched most recent Census estimates with regard to gender, ethnicity, and age.
- The survey was available to residents in both English and Spanish.
- 1,300 resident respondents were included in the sample, and results yielded a +/- 2.8% margin of error at a 95% level of confidence.
About Probolsky Research
Probolsky Research conducts opinion and market research for business, election, association, non-profit and government clients. Probolsky has worked with hundreds of government agencies throughout the United States.