Resurfacing Projects for Complete Streets – 2020 Season
Staff have reviewed the annual list of projects up for routine maintenance and identified a subset of streets for potential projects. Community feedback about current experiences with the street segments, along with other available data, such as plan guidance and crash data, helped inform the development of concept designs. Community feedback on the concept designs helped refine the final concepts, which will be implemented in Summer/Fall of 2020.
About the Project
Complete Streets “enable safe access by all user groups including pedestrians, bicyclists, transit vehicles and users, and motorists of all ages and abilities.” One of the ways Arlington County delivers on the Master Transportation Plan Complete Streets policy is to review the annual list of streets up for routine maintenance and identify those that might benefit from improvements to provide safe access for all people using the street.
- Wilson Boulevard – N Arlington Mill Dr to McKinley Road (Dominion Hills/Boulevard Manor)
- Potomac Avenue – S Crystal Drive to Alexandria City Line (Crystal City/Potomac Yard)
- Clarendon Boulevard – N Rhodes to N Oak Street (Clarendon-Courthouse/Radnor/Fort Myer Heights)
- N Lorcom Lane – Old Dominion Drive to N Taylor Street and N Military Road – Lorcom Lane to Old Dominion Drive (North Arlington) – These projects were open to public feedback in 2019, and completed in spring 2020 to coordinate with construction around Dorothy Hamm Middle School.
While specific project schedules may vary, this is a general timeline for these types of projects.
- Early Spring 2020 – Staff shares information on the potential projects and asks community members to share their experiences on these streets.
- Staff will use public feedback, existing plan guidance and other data to develop concept plans unique to the conditions at each location.
- Late Spring 2020 – Concept plans are shared with the public before implementation.
- Summer/Fall 2020 – Resurfacing and remarking work are completed for these projects.
About the Process
Final Plans Informed by Your Feedback - July 2020
In April, we asked you to share your location-specific issues and concerns about the street segments today. Those comments, along with other available data, such as plan guidance and crash data, helped staff create concept designs.
In June, we shared concept designs informed by your comments and asked for additional location-specific feedback. We also asked you to help us evaluate the concept designs based on the project goals of increasing safety and access for all road users. This second round of feedback helped us refine the development of the final concepts shared here.
Final Concept Summaries
Final Concept Designs
Online Open House #2 - June 2020
Arlington County staff hosted a second online open house on these projects in early June. Staff shared what community feedback was heard in after the first meeting and presented concept plans utilizing that feedback.
If you were unable to attend the online open house, the meeting presentation, a recording and the concept designs are available.
Review Meeting Materials
Online feedback was collected until June 18.
Online Open House #1 - April 2020
Arlington County staff hosted an online open house on Resurfacing Projects for Complete Streets in early April. Staff will shared background information on potential projects and how community members can share their experiences of the street to help staff develop concept plans.
If you were unable to attend the online open house, the meeting materials and a recording are available.
Experiences of the streets, along with existing plan guidance and other data, will help staff develop concept designs unique to the conditions at each location. Feedback was collected in mid April.