Columbia Pike: Segment A
Columbia Pike between South Oak Street and South Joyce Street, Arlington, VA 22204, View Map
Construction on Federal project between South Oak Street and South Joyce Street and the County project from South Orme Street to South Oak Street have started, and both are expected to reach completion in 2025.
Current Traffic Impacts
County Project Traffic Pattern Shifts - S. Orme St. to S. Oak St.
The eastbound lanes on Columbia Pike between South Orme Street and South Oak Street will close through the end of August.
Traffic in both directions will shift to the westbound lanes.
Federal Project Traffic Pattern Shifts - S. Nash St. to S. Joyce St.
As of January 2023, Columbia Pike is closed between South Oak Street and South Joyce Street to accommodate construction on the federal project.
- All traffic will detour through the new South Nash Street and Southgate Road
- The Air Force Memorial bus stop will close and service will move to a temporary stop on Southgate Road
The closure is expected to last about a year and a half and be completed in 2025. During this time, the Federal Highway Administration will realign Columbia Pike and build a tunnel for the Arlington National Cemetery expansion. Visit the USDOT project page for project information and contacts.
About The Project
Segment A of the Columbia Pike Multimodal Street Improvements project will take place in two parts, Arlington County’s project from South Orme Street to South Oak Street, and the federal Arlington National Cemetery Defense Access Roads (DAR) project, from South Oak Street to the South Joyce Street/Washington Boulevard interchange.
Segment A West: Arlington County Project
Arlington County is implementing Multimodal Improvements project on Columbia Pike. This project will provide the following changes:
- Widened sidewalks on both side of Columbia Pike between South Orme Street and South Oak Street
- Transit stations at Columbia Pike & South Orme Street bus stops
Segment A East: Federal Project
The Arlington National Cemetery Defense Access Roads (DAR) project on the east end of Columbia Pike is a federal project by the US Department of Transportation.
In addition to the expansion, the project will provide the following changes:
- Realign Columbia Pike east of South Oak Street
- Reconfigure the intersection of South Joyce Street at the Columbia Pike/South Washington Boulevard Interchange
- A new bike and pedestrian connector trail on the north side of Columbia Pike
Visit the USDOT project page for more information and project contacts.
Construction will begin in the spring of 2022 and will be completed in 2025.