18th Street N and N Glebe Road Safe Routes to School Project
18th Street and Glebe Road intersection, Arlington, VA View Map
Construction Update – June 2021
The contractor has completed the southeast corner of the 18th Street and Glebe Road intersection. During the week of June 14, they will start work on the southwest corner of the intersection (the empty lot). Work at that corner is expected to last 2-3 weeks.
The project team is waiting for permit approval to relocate the gas line on the northwest corner (Capital Life Church) and then finish work there.
What to expect during this project:
- Work hours
- On County right of way (18th Street) – 9 am to 4 pm, Monday through Friday
- On VDOT right of way (Glebe Road) – 9:30 am to 3:30 pm, Monday through Friday
- No street closures are planned, but at times traffic will be re-routed due to construction activities
- There will be sidewalk closures – Detours will be marked directing pedestrians safely around the work zone
Intersections of 18th Street North and North Glebe Road, and 18th Street North and North Wakefield Street
About the Project
A Safe Routes to School (SRTS) grant identified improvements that Arlington County could make to improve safety for all children walking to Glebe Elementary School.
Construction of a sidewalk along the south side of 18th Street North was the primary recommendation of a school access and safety study that was initiated by the PTA and the SRTS grant. The study also recommended a number of other improvements that are incorporated into this project.
On Oct. 9, 2020, the County Board approved a contract with Ardent Company, LLC to construct these improvements. Construction began in March 2021.
The project scope includes:
- Widening of sidewalk on 18th Street between North Wakefield Street and the entrance to Glebe Elementary School
- New traffic signal at the intersection of 18th Street North and North Glebe Road
- Upgrade and expand all Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) ramps within project area
- Mill and pave within project area
- Project staff continues to share project updates with neighboring civic associations and stakeholders
- November 2019 – Meeting with Glebe Elementary PTA to present the 100% project design
- March 2019 - Meeting with Board of Waverly Hills Civic Association to present the 100% project design
- August 2016 - Waverly Hills Civic Association recommends approval of SRTS improvements and concepts for intersection of 18th Street North and North Glebe Road
Project cost will be shared between Arlington County and the Virginia Department of Transportation.