With the financing plan for Barcroft Apartments approved, the County will review and analyze the land use components of Jair Lynch’s Master Financing and Development Plan (MFDP) in 2024. The County will reference earlier policies and visioning documents that provide guidance for the Barcroft site’s future. These include the 2012 Columbia Pike Neighborhoods Area Plan, the County’s Form Based Codes, and elements of the Comprehensive Plan pertaining to affordable housing, transportation, public spaces, natural resources, and more.
During the land use analysis, the County and Jair Lynch will continue to engage with Barcroft residents, whose feedback will remain of utmost priority. The process will also include broader engagement with the Arlington community. During the first half of 2024, a variety of in-person and virtual opportunities – including meetings of an expanded Form Based Code (FBC) Advisory Working Group, an online feedback form, pop-up events, and an open house – will enable public participation in the land use review.
In the second half of 2024 the regular FBC Advisory Working Group and the Planning Commission’s Zoning Committee will review any proposed FBC changes that are necessary to implement the established vision for Barcroft.
Concurrently with the review of the MFDP’s land use components, Jair Lynch will begin to renovate homes for existing Barcroft residents in the portion of the property located south of George Mason Drive along South Four Mile Run Drive. (The County Board approved use permit applications for the preservation and renovation of these buildings in 2023.) Jair Lynch will apply for further renovation use permits as the land use analysis progresses.
Expanded Form-Based Code Advisory Working Group
This working group was established to solicit feedback on land use issues at Barcroft from current residents and other key stakeholders. The expanded FBC Advisory Working Group will include representatives from the Barcroft Resident Council, Columbia Pike civic associations, specific County commissions and committees, and community organizations.
January–July 2024: Update Land Use Vision for Barcroft
- Revisit and assess adopted policy
- Work closely with an expanded FBC Advisory Working Group to solicit stakeholder feedback
- Engage Barcroft residents and broader community virtually and in-person
- Community engagement to occur February – May; targeting Request to Advertise (RTA) in June; County Board consideration in July
July–December 2024: Technical Review of FBC Changes
- Make any amendments to FBC and/or Neighborhoods FBC (N-FBC) needed for implementation of updated land use vision for Barcroft
- County staff will work primarily with the regular FBC Advisory Working Group and the Zoning Committee of the Planning Commission
- Consider merging the entirety of Barcroft Apartments into the N-FBC for clarity
- Begin reviewing initial applications for (new construction) redevelopment
Schedule, January–July 2024