TRAFFIC ALERT: Planned Road Closures for Armed Forces Cycling Classic
Published on May 26, 2023
ARLINGTON, Va. – The Arlington County Police Department will conduct planned road closures to accommodate the 2023 Armed Forces Cycling Classic bicycle races, which will take place during the weekend of Saturday, June 3 – Sunday, June 4, 2023.
2023 Challenge Ride and Crystal Cup
The 2023 Armed Forces Cycling Classic: Challenge Ride and Crystal Cup bicycle races will take place on Saturday, June 3, 2023. The following roadways will be closed in order to accommodate the event:
From approximately 4:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- 12th Street S., from S. Elm Street to Crystal Drive
- Crystal Drive, from 12th Street S. to 15th Street S
- Westbound 15th Street S., from Crystal Drive to S. Fern Street
- S. Eads Street, from 15th Street S. to Army Navy Drive.
From approximately 4:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Richmond Highway, from 20th Street S. to I-395
- Route 110, from Richmond Highway to Wilson Boulevard/I-66.
Additionally, there will be points within the area of road closures for residents and guests of the affected residential buildings and hotels to cross.
- Army Navy Drive at 12th Street S. – access for 1201 S. Eads Street parking garage (The Point)
- Long Bridge Drive at 12th Street S. – access for 1200-1400 blocks of S. Clark Street (Crowne Plaza Hotel)
- 15th Street S. at S. Eads Street – access for 1425 S. Eads Street (Paramount Apartments)
- 14th Street S. at S. Eads Street – access for 1434 S. Eads Street (Embassy Suites Hotel)
- 13th Street S. at S. Eads Street – access for 1201, 1205, 1211 and 1221 S. Eads Street (The Point, Cortland Pentagon City and Bella Vista Condominium)
2023 Clarendon Cup Cycling Classic
The 2023 Clarendon Cup Cycling Classic bicycle race will take place on Sunday, June 4, 2023. The following roadways will be closed in order to accommodate the event:
From approximately 3:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Wilson Boulevard, from N. Highland Street to Washington Boulevard
From approximately 5:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Wilson Boulevard, from N. Edgewood Street to N. Highland Street
- Wilson Boulevard, from 10th Street N. to Washington Boulevard
- N. Fillmore Street, from Clarendon Boulevard to Wilson Boulevard – there will be no access to Clarendon Boulevard from N. Fillmore Street
- Clarendon Boulevard, from Washington Boulevard to N. Edgewood Street
- Washington Boulevard, from Kirkwood Road to N. Garfield Street
- Washington Boulevard, from N. Garfield Street to 10th Street N. – westbound only
- N. Highland Street, from Washington Boulevard to 13th Street N. – access to the public parking garage in the 1300 block of N. Highland Street will be available.
- N. Garfield Street, from Clarendon Boulevard to Wilson Boulevard
The public should expect to see an increased police presence in the area, and motorists are urged to follow law enforcement direction, be mindful of closures, and remain alert for increased pedestrian traffic. Other roads not mentioned may be closed at law enforcement discretion and in the interest of public safety.
Race attendees and spectators are encouraged to use Metro or other forms of multimodal transportation to reduce vehicle congestion in the area. The Crystal City Metro station (Blue and Yellow lines) is located near the Challenge Ride/Crystal Cup racecourse at the corner of 18th Street and Clark Street and will be accessible on Saturday, June 3. The Clarendon Metro Station (Orange and Silver lines) is located within the Clarendon Cup racecourse at the corner of Wilson Boulevard and N. Highland Street. Vehicular traffic (to include buses) will not be able to access the Clarendon Metro Station after 5:30 a.m. on Sunday, June 4.
In addition, area street parking will be restricted. Motorists should be on the lookout for temporary “No Parking” signs and illegally parked vehicles may be ticketed or towed. If your vehicle is towed from a public street, please call the Emergency Communications Center at 703-558-2222.