Calling all artists, and artists-at-heart! The County will choose a new logo this year that better represents our Arlington community, and we need your help.
The County Board last year approved a process to replace the current County logo and seal, which depict Arlington House, The Robert E. Lee Memorial. For many Arlington County residents, the Arlington House symbol represents one of the darkest chapters our nation’s history: slavery. While removing Arlington’s current symbology does not erase history, developing a new logo helps build a more inclusive and equitable County – with a visual identity that accurately reflects our community’s values and aspirations. We are writing a brighter chapter in Arlington’s story, one that aligns with the County’s important focus on racial equity.
As you create your design, think about the images, symbols and feelings unique to Arlington and shared by people across neighborhoods. Photos of your sketches or computer-generated art all will be accepted. The art should look good when printed small (like on a pen) or large (like on a field or billboard). Be creative! Be bold! Have fun!
The new Arlington County logo will be used on all County communications and materials, and over time in all community amenities like parks, community centers, buildings, and more.
Submit your logo concept/art by March 14, 2021.
Inspirational Ideas from the Community
Looking for inspiration or ideas before you work on a concept? Check out this collection of common themes received from community members in the Dialogues on Race and Equity (DRE) Community Assessment, where respondents were asked what symbols, imagery, and iconography they thought best represented Arlington.
- Natural features (dogwoods, trees, flowers)
- Potomac River
- Arlington National Cemetery & the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
- Rosslyn skyline or a map/outline of the County
- Abstract symbols of County values
- Peace, diversity, freedom, inclusiveness
- Forward-thinking, community
- Landmarks (Metro, National Airport, Iwo Jima Memorial, Air Force Memorial, Pentagon, bridges, Rosslyn skyline, neighborhoods)
- Should be readable and viewable at any size (.5 inch to larger sizes)
- Should look good in color and in black and white
- All media (e.g.: digital, paint, chalk, crayon, etc.) accepted
Criteria and Formats for Submission
- All designs must be original and new
- Maximum three (3) concepts/submissions per person — submit each logo concept individually
- Submit/upload the art/concept in .jpg, .png, or PDF format
- Designs can be submitted in color and/or black and white
Next Steps in Developing a New Logo
A Logo Review Panel will select 3-5 of the top concepts submitted, then work with a design firm to further develop 3-5 options for communitywide ranking. Finally, in June 2021, the Logo Review Panel will share a final recommendation for a new County Logo with the Arlington County Board. Artists of the top concepts may also be recognized at a future Board Meeting!
If you have questions, email email@example.com.