All cities and counties in Virginia have a personal property tax which helps fund local government. For Arlington County residents, the tax is assessed on all motor vehicles that are garaged (regularly parked) overnight in Arlington County per Arlington County Code § 27-11.1, including:
- Motor homes
- Motor Scooters
The Commissioner of Revenue’s Personal Property Tax Division assesses all Arlington vehicle personal property taxes, based on:
- The County Board’s set tax rate (for 2022, the tax rate has been set at $5.00 per $100 of assessed value).
- Your vehicle’s value. (The Commissioner uses the “Clean Loan” value in the January [of the tax year] edition of the J.D Power (formerly NADA Guides) for vehicle assessments.)
- The number of months your vehicle was located in Arlington.
- The amount of tax relief your vehicle is provided.
- The Code of Virginia and local ordinances.
The Arlington County Commissioner of Revenue's Vehicle Personal Property Division will automatically register personal property including motor vehicles, trailers, and semi-trailers garaged in Arlington that have been registered with the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). According to Virginia Code § 46.2-754 and Arlington County Code § 14.2- 69, vehicle owners are required to file for local vehicle registration within sixty days of purchase, or of being brought into the jurisdiction. Please note, it is the taxpayer's responsibility to ensure that all vehicle personal property accounts with Arlington County are properly registered and updated in the event files from the DMV aren’t received timely.
To alert customers about a change on their account(s), CAPP (Customer and Assessment Payment Portal) account subscribers will receive a notification via email. Non-CAPP subscribers will receive a letter from our office via the US mail. Upon receipt of this notice, all customers can review and certify that the information is correct by going to the main CAPP landing webpage and doing the following:
- Locate “I Want To”.
- Select “Review DMV Registration”. (At this time, CAPP users are unable to review their DMV registration while logged in to their CAPP profile.)
For more information or if you have questions, please call the Vehicle Personal Property Division at 703-228-3135 to speak to a Tax Assessor.