Request Service / Report a Problem

This service is for non-emergency requests and monitored weekdays. For emergencies, call 9-1-1. For water/sewer emergencies, call 703-228-6555 (24-hour hotline).  

Request Service / Report a Problem


Other Reporting Methods

You can also make service requests on the mobile MyArlington app, available at App Store or Google PlayLearn more about this tool.

Certain services are not available through the Report-A-Problem tool. Here are a list of some requests that should be made through other methods:

Find a list of Common Questions and Answers from our Constituent Services Team

For topics you don’t see in the Service Request tool, try our A to Z directory or search our websites.

Data Transparency

View our Data Dashboard for Service Requests or Open Data service request results.