Amazon in Arlington
On November 13, 2018, Amazon announced that it had selected Arlington as the location for its new second headquarters (HQ2). The news followed a year-long process in which Amazon considered 238 proposals from communities across North America.
As one of the most significant economic development projects in recent history, Amazon's decision to select Northern Virginia validated the region as a world-class hub for the tech industry.
Construction on Amazon's HQ2 is currently underway, with Phase 1 expected to be completed in 2023.
The company will invest more than $2 billion to establish its new headquarters, which will create at least 25,000 high-wage jobs by 2030.
- PenPlace: The County Board approved the PenPlace development on April 23, 2022. The project includes:
- ~3.2 million square feet of office space, including The Helix, a unique biophilic double helix structure with plantings native to the Mid-Atlantic region
- ~95,000 square feet of retail
- ~15,000 square feet for a child care center
- ~28,600 square foot for a community facility that will be home to Arlington Community High School
- 2.75-acre public park
- Internal paths for pedestrians, bicycles, and scooters
- MetPark: The County Board approved the first phase of Amazon's new headquarters on December 14, 2019. The project includes:
- ~2 million square feet of office space in two buildings
- ~67,000 square feet of retail
- Related Transportation Projects
Community contact for Amazon: Brooke Oberwetter, Manager, Public Policy