Training is required for all new CERT volunteers.
Fall 2022 Class Schedule
CERT Basic Training is delivered in English twice a year; a Spanish-language class is held once a year. Classes are held on Wednesdays and Saturdays for a total of eight sessions. Apply now.
The course is FREE and open to anyone on lives, works, attends school or a place of worship or volunteers extensively in Arlington County.
Sign up now to register for an ArlCERT course
CERT members will be asked to acquire supplies to be best prepared to volunteer. A supply list will be shard during the first Basic Training class and volunteer trainees should not purchase items before then.
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Before an emergency, CERT members are expected to have an awareness of their own neighborhoods, and to predetermine possible evacuation sites that will facilitate effective, safe and rapid response to emergencies.
During a major emergency, where first responders are unable to respond immediately, CERT team members:
- Assume a leadership role.
- Assess situations and properly advise emergency responders when they arrive.
- Recognize the potential hazards associated with a particular type of event and take appropriate action.
- Take steps to get to safety and/or help others to do so in an organized fashion.
- Help identify staging areas for operations and triage.
- Help identify, organize and utilize local resources.
- Assist others with the emotional distress associated with major emergencies and disaster conditions.
- Administer first aid and/or triage casualties.
- Perform needs assessments, document and communicate needs to local authorities.
- Support effective and efficient allocation of emergency resources.
CERT members are activated by an authorized Arlington County agency.
Those who complete the CERT training are expected to:
- Help prepare individuals and organizations in the neighborhood to take care of themselves in the event of a disaster by providing or facilitating education about emergency preparedness
- Be willing to help neighbors and the community in the event of a disaster, after assuring self and family safety
- Seek out and take advantage of opportunities to enhance emergency preparedness and disaster skills
- Be willing to participate in community events, drills and training others
- Participate in periodic team meetings to organize and maintain activities
- Review and adhere to CERT’s operating guidelines
Interested in joining CERT?
CERT Info Request