Transitway Extension to Pentagon City
The Transitway Extension to Pentagon City will be conducted in three segments, located in the northernmost part of the Pentagon City neighborhood. The project design has been divided into three segments (described below under About the Project).
- Crystal Drive from 15th Street South to 12th Street & Long Bridge Drive
- 12th Street South from Long Bridge Drive to South Hayes Street
- South Hayes Street from 12th Street South to Army Navy Drive
Construction on Phase 1, Segment 1 will begin the week of April 4th, 2022 and is anticipated to be complete by April 2023. Work hours will be Monday through Friday from 9:00am to 4:00pm. Street marking will be installed after construction and installation of the Transit stations are completed.
The existing street parking on this side of the street will close beginning on June 15, 2022 to become a transit-only lane as part of the project. Construction and traffic management coordination is also underway related to the ongoing work at the Verizon site development located at the northeast corner of 12th Street S. and S. Eads St.
Work included during this phase:
- Installation of two new transit stations at Crystal Drive & 15th St S, and 12th St S & Long Bridge Drive
- Street improvements along 12th St S between S Eads St and S Clark St, and the intersection of 12th St S & Crystal Drive
See the Maintenance of Transportation Plan.
Segment 1, on Crystal Drive from 15th St. S to 12th St. S. at Long Bridge Drive
Segment 2A, on 12th St. S. from Army Navy Drive to S. Fern St.
In Planning Phase
Segment 2B, on 12th St. S. from S. Fern St to S. Hayes St.
Members of the community were notified on Friday, March 25.
About the Project
Planning for improved surface transit in the Crystal City/Potomac Yard corridor began in earnest in the early 2000s. This extension to Pentagon City is the northern segment of the Crystal City Potomac Yard Transitway, adding 1.1 miles to the 4.5-mile Transitway corridor dedicated to high-frequency, premium transit service. With the extension, the Transitway will run from the Braddock Road Metrorail station in the City of Alexandria to the Pentagon City Metrorail station in Arlington.
This project will add additional dedicated bus lanes and five new transit stations with associated station amenities. The stations will be similar in style and appearance to the existing Transitway stations on Crystal Drive and Clark Street. Two additional Transitway stations will be built during later phases:
- A station at South Clark Street and 12th Street South will be part of the 15th Street South/South Clark-Bell Street Realignment project
- A station on northbound South Hayes Street at 12th Street South will be built once the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) completes the Pentagon City Center bus bays project
The Transitway will serve local travel demand within the corridor, including Amazon’s HQ2 headquarters, and enhance connections to Metrorail and improve connections to Columbia Pike. It will provide needed transportation capacity to support anticipated infill residential and office development in Crystal City and Pentagon City, particularly PenPlace, Pentagon Centre and Metropolitan Park.
- Crystal Drive from 15th Street South to 12th Street & Long Bridge Drive – Includes curbside rush hour bus lanes and two stations (on northbound Crystal Drive at 15th Street South, and on westbound 12th Street South at Long Bridge Drive).
- 12th Street South from Long Bridge Drive to South Hayes Street – Includes exclusive bus lanes in the median, mixed traffic lanes, traffic signal upgrades, signage and pavement markings, and three stations (east and westbound 12th Street South at Elm Street, and eastbound 12th Street South at South Hayes Street).
- South Hayes Street from 12th Street South to Army Navy Drive – This segment will connect to WMATA’s planned Pentagon City Center bus bays project on Army Navy Drive.
In 2016, the County completed an assessment of the preferred alignment for the Transitway extension from the Crystal City Metrorail station to the Pentagon City Metrorail station. The assessment compared routes along 12th Street South, 15th Street South, and 18th Street South.
For the Transitway extension, northbound travel will follow Crystal Drive from 18th Street South to 12th Street South, continue west along 12th Street to South Hayes Street, and then north to Army Navy Drive at Joyce Street. Southbound travel for the extension will follow Army Navy Drive east to South Hayes Street, continue east on 12th Street South, and then south on South Clark Street to the Crystal City Metrorail Station.
Learn about the difference between rush hour bus lanes and exclusive bus lanes – Understanding Transit Lanes
Residents, business owners, building managers and bus riders were involved in the Transitway project’s environmental analysis and the design and locations of the Transitway stations. For more information about this public process, visit Crystal City Potomac Yard Transitway.
- 2005: Interim Transit Improvements Plan for Crystal City/Potomac Yard corridor recommends a Transitway, and Crystal City/Potomac Yard Corridor Transit Improvements Project identifies 12th Street South for the alignment of the northern extension of the Transitway from Crystal City to Pentagon City.
- 2009: Crystal City Multimodal Transportation Study, as part of the Crystal City Sector Plan process, studies transitway alignments and identifies 12th Street South as the corridor for future extension of the Transitway to Pentagon City.
- 2010: County Board adopts the Crystal City Sector Plan, which identifies the alignment of the Transitway.
- 2012: Crystal City Potomac Yard Transitway Operations Plan completed.
- April 2016: Crystal City Potomac Yard Transitway opens.
- 2016: County Board adopts the FY 2017-2026 Transit Development Plan and Capital Improvement Plan, which include the Transitway extension project with its alignment via 12th Street South.
- 2018: County Board adopts FY 2019-2028 Capital Improvement Plan, which includes the Transitway extension project with its alignment via 12th Street South.
Arlington County staff engaged with members of the community throughout the earliest phases of the Transit Extension project.
Past Community Meetings
February 2022 – Project Update and Phase 2 60% Design Engagement
60% Design Plans
September 2021 - Project Information Meeting
August 2021 - TETPC Phase 1 - Summer 2021 Update
April 2021- Presentation to Transportation Commission
November 2018 – Community Open House
This open house updated the community on the project's scope and schedule at the 30% design milestone.
Arlington County’s FY 2019-2028 Capital Improvement Plan approved a budget of $27.7 million for this project. The Transitway extension is funded primarily by regional funds from the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority and state funds.
This project will extend the Crystal City Potomac Yard Transitway north and west to Pentagon City., Arlington, VA 22202 View Map