Arts & Industry District
3700 South Four Mile Run Drive, Arlington, VA 22206 View Map
About the Project
In November 2018, the County Board adopted the Four Mile Run Valley Area Plan (“Plan”). The Plan recognized that the rehearsal, artist, and recording studios, black box theater, and office spaces located within the County-owned building at 3700 South Four Mile Run Drive provide users with a unique clustering of arts and creative activities producing a fertile environment for collaboration and innovation. The businesses in the area also significantly contribute to this environment – offering a mix of industrial, service and production uses.
A vision in the Plan suggests this confluence of arts and creative activities and businesses could continue to evolve, and potentially grow into an Arts & Industry District. To implement this vision, the Plan suggested the County undertake a public process to define a vision for the arts and industrial uses within the study area, including consideration of designating an Arts and Industry District.
About the Process
The public process was envisioned as a two-phase process.
Technical Advisory Panel (TAP)
- Led by County staff
- Two commissioners each from the Commission for the Arts and the Economic Development Commission
- Identify key attributes that define arts and industry districts;
- Research and review best practices related to arts (and industry) districts throughout the country;
- Establish criteria for evaluating arts and industry district models; and
- Develop and evaluate four to six alternative arts and industry district models.
Arts and Industry District Advisory Committee
- 11 – 12 members; co-chaired by members of the Commission for the Arts and the Economic Development Commission
- Discuss the opportunities and challenges associated with various arts and industry district models developed by the TAP;
- Ensure that any potential new arts and industry district works in concert with existing and new businesses;
- Assist staff in public engagement: informing the community and relevant stakeholder groups of ongoing efforts and discussions;
- Participate in an open house to obtain the community’s feedback on the models, boundaries and County facilities; and
- Provide recommendation(s) to the County Manager on possible uses for County-owned properties and, if deemed feasible, how to best structure and administer an Arts and Industry District in the Four Mile Run Valley area.
Phase 1 has been completed and Phase 2 has commenced.
Unless otherwise noted all meetings will be at 3700 South Four Mile Run Drive.
|Monday, Dec. 9, 2019 @ 7:30 p.m.
|Monday, Jan. 13, 2010 @ 6:30 p.m.
|Monday, Feb. 10, 2010 @ 6:30 p.m.
Phase I (TAP) Models
Phase I (TAP) Arts & Industry District Report
AIDAC Mtg #2 Presentation 2020 0210
Draft Evaluation Tool (DRAFT Scenario Evaluation Tool)
|Monday, March 9, 2010 @ 6:30 p.m.
|Monday, March 23, 2010 @ 6:30 p.m.