Bridge maintenance work on the surface of the Shirlington Road Bridge was completed in September of 2022.
This work accomplished the following project goals:
- Increased safety by upgrading the guardrail system to meet current standards
- Prolonged the life of the bridge by performing routine maintenance
- Improved condition of the bridge pavement by repairing the deck surface
- Widened the sidewalk from 4-5 feet to roughly 7 feet on the west side of the bridge
- Improved access between Green Valley and Shirlington
- Improved the refuge median at the midblock crosswalk near 27th Street South