Shirlington Road Bridge Maintenance and New Pedestrian/Bicycle Bridge
Shirlington Road between Arlington Mill Drive and Four Mile Run Drive, adjacent to the Village of Shirlington, Arlington, VA 22206 View Map
Construction Update - September 2022
Bridge maintenance work on the surface of the Shirlington Road Bridge was completed the week of September 19, 2022. This includes the widened sidewalk on the west side of the bridge, and the improved refuge median at the midblock crosswalk near 27th Street South. The parallel pedestrian and bicycle bridge is anticipated to being construction in 2023.
Bridge maintenance and resurfacing was completed in September 2022.
About the Project
Shirlington Road Bridge over Four Mile Run is owned and maintained by Arlington County, Virginia. To maintain the good overall condition of the bridge, some routine maintenance and upgrades are needed.
In addition, this project will add a pedestrian and bicycle facility to the west of the existing structure. We currently anticipate a 15’ foot multi-use trail with enhanced pedestrian treatments at the intersection of Shirlington Road and Arlington Mill Drive and at Shirlington Road at 27th Street South.
The goals of this project are to:
- Increase safety by upgrading the guardrail system to meet current standards
- Prolong the life of the bridge by performing routine maintenance
- Improve condition of the bridge pavement by repairing the deck surface
- Improve access between Green Valley and Shirlington for people walking and rolling
Improvements in the Advanced Concept include:
Shirlington Road Bridge and Parallel Bicycle and Pedestrian Facility
- Routine bridge maintenance, including deck surface repairs (completed summer 2022)
- Upgrade existing approach guardrails to meet current standards (completed spring/summer 2022)
- New, 15 foot wide bike/pedestrian bridge, with entrance and aesthetics coordinated with Jennie Dean Park
- Final plan for the parallel bike/pedestrian bridge
- Sidewalk on existing bridge widened from 4-5 feet to roughly 7 feet (completed spring/summer 2022)
Arlington Mill Drive and Shirlington Road Crosswalk Improvements
- Provide addition trail width to the existing Four Mile Run Trail as it connects to the new bike/pedestrian bridge to facilitate merging
- Redesigned curb and crossing to allow drivers, pedestrian and cyclists to see each other better and support slower, more controlled vehicular turns
Pedestrian Crossing Improvements Near the Four Mile Run Trail/27th Street S
- Additional Rapid Flash Beacon (RRFB) in median to improve visibility of crossing (completed spring/summer 2022)
- Wider pedestrian ramps to better accommodate crossing users (12 feet) (completed spring/summer 2022)
- Wider refuge median to provide more space for people waiting to cross (7 feet) (completed/spring summer 2022)
Crews completing final maintenance tasks on the Shirlington Road Bridge surface, summer 2022
Online Open House - January 2021
To provide a project update, including how community feedback helped refine the advanced concept, the project team hosted an virtual meeting and question and answer session. For those unable to attend, the meeting materials are included below.
Community feedback was collected online from 1/28/21 - 2/18/21.
Online Open House - March 2020
To help the community learn more about the project, ask questions and share feedback, the project team hosted an online open house. For those unable to attend, the meeting materials are included below.
Community feedback was collected online between 3/31/20 - 4/14/20.
This project is fully funded with a mix of State and County Funds.