Fraber House

Fraber House 1


1612 N. Quincy St., located in the Cherrydale National Historic District.


Date: Built circa 1913

Historic Designation:

Current Use of Property: Single-family residence

The Fraber House is a classic and well-preserved example of an early-20th Century bungalow. It is one of the best intact examples of this house type in Arlington. Among the earliest bungalows built in the Cherrydale neighborhood, the Fraber House still retains its original building footprint, windows and doors, and interior layout and detailing. The house, detached garage and surrounding yard remained in the Fraber family until the County purchased the three-parcel property in July 2002. In Nov. 2013, the County sold the corner house parcel and it is once again in private ownership.  The other two adjacent parcels are part of Oakgrove Park.

The Fraber House has both architectural and historical significance, as it among the earliest examples of this type of residential architecture in Arlington and is indicative of the people who helped establish and transform the County into the thriving community it is today. The house was originally sited just a few yards from the Bluemont Branch of the Washington and Old Dominion (W&OD) Railroad, which opened in 1912 and now follows the route of Interstate 66.

Architectural Features

The Fraber House stands one-and-one-half stories tall, has a concrete block foundation, a standing exterior chimney, and features a full-width front porch with wide overhanging eaves and a side gable roof pierced by prominent matching dormers on either side. The home’s interior is remarkably intact and beautifully demonstrates the characteristic spatial arrangements, architectural details and overall features of a historic Bungalow. Of particular note is the vibrant original woodwork throughout the main level, including hardwood floors, paneled doors, trim work, newel post and stair balustrade. The dark colored wood used throughout the first floor of the house is American Chestnut.

Significant People

John William Fraber (Mar. 29, 1881 – Nov. 28, 1945)

Mr. Fraber was born in Washington, D.C., was a veteran of the Spanish-American War and served twice in the U.S. Army. He was employed by the Washington Navy Yard for approximately 22 years. He was buried at Arlington National Cemetery. This single-family residence was originally owned by middle class working family John William and his wife Lucia Schanz Fraber.

John Artis “Jack” Spates (Feb. 11, 1884 – Nov. 28, 1959):

Mr. Spates was born in Washington, D.C. He worked as a building contractor and carpenter in Arlington for more than 50 years. He built this home as well as several churches in the Cherrydale area, including the original St. Agnes Church and the Cherrydale Baptist Church. He also was a long-time volunteer with the Arlington County Fire Department and served as chief. He was buried at Columbia Gardens Cemetery.

More Information


1612 N. Quincy St., Arlington, VA 22207  View Map

Google Map