ART Operations and Maintenance Facility
2629-2633 Shirlington Road, Arlington, VA 22206 View Map
Construction on the new Arlington Transit (ART) Operations and Maintenance Facility began in June 2022 and is expected to be substantially completed in Fall 2024. Work hours are 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Monday to Friday, and some weekend work from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Mechanical, electrical, and plumbing rough-in and fireproofing is continuing at the Maintenance building. Work on the exterior of the Maintenance building includes installation of the concrete blocks and the air barrier. The steel roof structure has been installed on the parking garage and duct bank installation has begun.
About the Project
In July 2018, the County Board approved the purchase of three parcels on Shirlington Road in Green Valley to construct the facilities needed to consolidate the ART service functions. This project is essential for ART's long-term sustainability and will address the current and future needs for parking, operations and maintenance of the County’s growing ART bus fleet. ART has significantly increased its number of routes and hours of service during the past 10 years and plans to continue growing during the next 20 years, supported by a fleet of more than 100 buses. The facility will perform regular preventive bus maintenance, repairs and other unscheduled maintenance work. It also will include administration and operations functions and parking for buses and staff.
The project was approved in the County’s FY 2019-2028 Capital Improvement Plan for $81.2 million, which included the cost of the land purchase, concept planning, design and construction. On Sept. 15, 2020, the County Board approved a $3.9 million contract with Stantec Architecture, Inc. for planning, design and construction administration services for the facility. On April 22, 2023, the County Board approved a contract increase with Stantec Architecture, Inc. to include additional design and construction administrative services for battery electric bus (BEB) charging infrastructure, for a total contract commitment of $4.4 million. The updated design will add electrical infrastructure capable of providing charging capacity for up to 46 BEB charging stalls that can accommodate up to 63 BEBs on the site.
The County Board approved a contract with Turner Construction Company for construction services for the facility on May 14, 2022. The construction project includes:
- A maintenance, operations, and administration building and surface parking for the buses (to be located on Parcel A)
- A three-story parking structure for employee vehicles (to be located on Parcel B)
The County will require a minimum of LEED Building Design + Construction (BD+C) Silver Certification for the project, which will be designed to include sustainable materials and systems.
During the construction of the new ART Operations and Maintenance Facility, 29 buses will be temporarily parked at the County's North Quincy Street property. Learn more about the temporary ART bus parking at North Quincy.
About Arlington Transit
Arlington Transit (ART) is Arlington County’s local transit system that supplements Metrobus service with cross-County routes as well as neighborhood connections to Metrorail and Virginia Railway Express.
Arlington County celebrated the start of construction by hosting a groundbreaking ceremony on Wednesday, June 15, 2022, at the location of the new facility.
Third Community Meeting
Project Design Update - June 2021
- Learn how the project team is working to address prior feedback received on the concept design, including how the site will handle stormwater, flooding issues, solar, results of the traffic study and future electric charging of buses
- See how the building will fit in with the community, including massing and site context as well as aesthetics informed by community feedback
Second Community Meeting: Concept Design and Feedback
Concept Design Meeting Recording - February 2021
- 0.00 - Introductions and Background
- 5:20 - Project Overview
- 8:30 - Concept Designs
- 21:00 - Community Comments
First Community Meeting: Project Introduction and Preliminary Concept
Project Introduction Video Presentation - December 2020
- Meet the Project Team
- 1:52 - Get to know Arlington Transit (ART) and the Operations and Maintenance Facility
- 5:21 - Review the project scope and goals
- 7:24 - Get to know the project site and considerations
- 10:16 - Learn about the path to the preliminary concept design
- 13:41 - View preliminary concept design
- 15:24 - Check out next steps and share feedback
Public Facilities Review Committee
The project was reviewed by the Public Facilities Review Committee. You can learn more about the committee process and view meeting materials and recordings their site.
- May 4, 2022
- September 29, 2021
- June 16, 2021
- February 17, 2021
- December 16, 2020
The following community engagement activities have also taken place:
- March 2021 - Staff provided the Transportation Advisory Committee with a project update on the concept design.
- December 2020 – The design team consultant and staff presented to the Green Valley Civic Association on the preliminary concept design.
- September 2020 – Staff presented to the Green Valley Civic Association and also hosted a small, socially-distanced on-site meeting with civic leaders.
- July 2020 – Staff provided the Transportation Advisory Committee with a brief project update.
- July 2019 – Staff presented a general overview of the project, including funding, vision and scope to the Transportation Advisory Committee.
- July 2019 – Staff presented a general overview of the project, including funding, vision and scope to the Green Valley Civic Association.
This project is funded with $39 million from the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority (NVTA) as well as with funding from the Commonwealth of Virginia’s Department of Rail and Public Transportation (DRPT) and dedicated local transportation sources.