Protect Our [Water] Sources High School Art Contest
High school students of Arlington County! You are invited to participate in a regional art contest that celebrates one of our most precious resources – water!
Think about the water that reaches our homes, schools, and workplaces, and keeps us hydrated, healthy and clean.
This contest is sponsored by the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments (MWCOG) Community Engagement Committee (CEC). Winners from Arlington County will be entered to become regional finalists in Spring of 2022.
Who Can Participate?
All currently enrolled high school (9th-12th grade) students in Arlington Public Schools, homeschool, or private schools located in Arlington County.
What are the Prizes?
One winner in each category of the Arlington contest will receive a prize packet and certificate of award, and will be promoted to participate in the regional MWCOG art contest.
The regional prizes are:
- $300 grand prize to the artist per category
- $100 for each grand prize winners’ teacher
- $150 honorable mention to the artist per category
What Art Can I Submit?
Students can submit art into one of two categories, listed below.
1 - Painting and Drawing
- To include anything done in the following media: Pastels, watercolor, oil paints, colored pencils, crayons, gouache, spray paint or other non-digital medium where pigment is applied to canvas or paper.
2 – Photography and Digital Art
- To include art produced with a camera, on a computer, digital tablet, or phone
- Photographs shot on film and edited/retouched digitally will count toward this category.
- Photographs shot on film and not retouched digitally will still count toward this category
Tell Me More About Arlington Water
The theme for this year’s contest is Protect our Water Sources; take inspiration from the water that is provided for the Arlington County community. Learn more about the water utility provided by Arlington County, and Arlington’s commitment to keeping residents healthy and safe with clean,
For more information, read this fact sheet(PDF, 146KB).
How do I Participate?
Submit your artwork in the form below by 11:59 PM, March 18, 2022. Winners will be notified by email.
Artwork can be submitted as .jpg, .pdf, .png.
What Happens with my Art After I Participate?
Arlington County has the permission to use any submitted artwork in all media formats including print, electronic, or other, in perpetuity. By participating in this contest, you are giving permission for the work to be displayed at various public events, in publications and promotional material, and in electronic format on the internet by the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments and members of the Community Engagement Committee.
Click here to view form.