PARK(ing) Day is an annual international event where the public collaborates to temporarily transform drab parking spaces into small parks to elicit a reconsideration of the designation of public space.
Arlington PARK(ing) Day
2022 PARK(ing) Day in Arlington was held Friday, Sept. 16.
Events like PARK(ing) Day enrich community life by creating an inviting streetscape and by promoting activities for social exchange, fun, creativity and critical thinking. PARK(ing) Day promotes a new look at the public-right-of-way and motivates participation in the civic processes that shape the urban environment.
PARK(ing) Day’s birth can be traced back to San Francisco 2005 when the art and design studio Rebar transformed a parking spot into a temporary park to draw attention to a lack of open space. Now a global event, PARK(ing) Day takes place the third Friday of September.
2022 PARK(ing) Day Participants
|National Landing BID
||2100-F Crystal Dr.
||"Landing Soon": Highlighting all the new parks in National Landing
|BikeArlington and WalkArlington
||1501 Wilson Blvd. (on North Oak St.)
||"Outreach & Games"
|MTFA Architecture, PLLC
||2311 Wilson Blvd.
||"Welcome in the Hive": Interactive design modules
How to Apply
The 2022 PARK(ing) Day event took place on Sept. 16. (Application Deadline: Aug. 31.)
The following step-by-step guide refers to information in our PARK(ing) Day Guidelines and Forms
- Identify your parking space site for your PARK(ing) Day design
- Adhere to our PARK(ing) Day Site Criteria
- Apply for your PARK(ing) Day Permit
- After your permit has been approved, you will receive an invoice notification for payment by email via Permit Arlington. Follow instructions in email to create a Permit Arlington account and pay for your permit. See below for information about fees.
- Implement your design and have fun at the PARK(ing) Day event!
To apply for a PARK(ing) Day permit, the following fees (subject to change based on the most recent DES fee schedule) are due after the site review and initial approval:
- PARK(ing) Day Permit: $37.62 per permit.
- Barrels: $27 (minimum site design)
5 barrels per minimum site design, costing $5.54 each (one extra barrel required per each additional consecutive space).
The Arlington Division of Transportation will sponsor the barrel fee for the first five applications from private residents (one site per application)!