New Resident Checklist

Virginia Vehicle Registration

If you’re moving to Arlington from out of state, you’ll need to register your vehicle with the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles within 30 days of move-in. 

More on registering your car in Virginia

Virginia Driver’s License

If you’re moving to Arlington from out of state, you need to apply for a Virginia driver’s license within 60 days of move-in. Exceptions include military personnel, out-of-state students, and temporary nonresidents.

If you hold a commercial driver’s license (CDL), you must obtain a Virginia CDL within 30 days.

More About Applying for a Virginia Driver's License

Arlington County Vehicle Registration

The Arlington County Code provides two different deadlines for notifying the Commissioner of Revenue that a vehicle is newly located in Arlington on a regular basis.

Arlington County Code §14.2-69 provides that residents must register their vehicle or trailer within thirty (30) days of acquiring situs within the County or within thirty (30) days of purchasing a vehicle with situs in the County.

Arlington County Code §27-11.1 requires vehicles to be listed for property taxes within sixty (60) days of the vehicle first acquiring situs or becoming taxable in the County.

Vehicles and trailers will be listed for property taxes when they are registered. If this is not done within sixty (60) days of the vehicle first acquiring situs or becoming taxable in the County, the owner shall incur a late filing penalty of ten percent (10%) of the amount of tax assessed or ten dollars ($10.00) whichever is greater, but not to exceed the amount of the tax, which penalty shall become part of the tax.

All vehicles that are regularly parked or garaged in Arlington overnight must be registered within 30 days of acquiring situs in the county. Failure to register your vehicle could result in a ticket from law enforcement officials. Furthermore, late tax filing penalties begin if the property is not listed for property taxes within 60 days of it acquiring situs in the County.

You can register your vehicle online via CAPP (Customer Assessment and Payment Portal), by mail, or in person at the Commissioner of Revenue’s Office.

Read here for more information on registering a vehicle.

As of July 1, 2019, residents no longer are required to display a decal on any vehicles.

For more information, email the Commissioner of Revenue’s Office or call 703-228-3135.

Obtain a residential zone parking permit.

Dog License 

Ensure your dog’s rabies vaccination is up-to-date and apply for a dog license.