Leaving Arlington Checklist

Whether you are moving across the street or across the state — or even across the country or out of the country — be sure you notify the proper authorities regarding your change of address.

State Requirements

Virginia Vehicle Registration and Driver’s License

If you have a new address, you will need to notify the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles to update both your Vehicle Registration and your Virginia Driver’s License.

Arlington County Requirements

Arlington County Vehicle Personal Property Tax 

Whether you are moving out of Arlington County or within the County, you must notify the Commissioner of Revenue’s Office of your changes as soon as possible. There are lots of ways to do this.  Choose the one that’s easiest for you:

  • Call the Commissioner of Revenue’s Office, Vehicle Division, at 703-228-3135.
  • Log into your CAPP account, then submit your change of address by clicking on the vehicle account number links, and typing in your new address under “Moved? Sold Your Vehicle?…”  Please note that you will need to make corrections to each vehicle you own.
  • Email the Commissioner of Revenue’s Office.

The vehicle personal property tax year is from January 1 to December 31. Vehicle taxes are assessed based on the number of months the vehicle was located in Arlington.

Please note that even after you move, or sell or dispose of your vehicle, you may still owe taxes to Arlington for the period your car was located in the County.  

Real Estate

If you own real estate, contact the Arlington County Department of Real Estate Assessments to change your mailing address.


To close your Utilities account (water, sewer, trash removal) and request a final bill, call the Department of Environmental Services at 703-228-5000 at least one business day prior to the day you wish to discontinue service.


Please notify the Treasurer’s Office if your dog is also moving out of the County by e-mail or by calling 703-228-4000.