On October 13, 2022, the Commissioner of Revenue's Business Tax Division mailed postcards to Arlington County business owners to inform them that the printing and mailing of business tax forms would cease and that businesses will not be receiving pre-printed tax forms by mail in January 2023. Customers are encouraged to review and update their CAPP accounts or sign up for CAPP no later than December 31, 2022, so they are prepared to file timely in 2023. CAPP customers receive online courtesy reminders leading up to tax filing deadlines.
This initiative began in 2019 with monthly custodial tax return filings, including meals tax and transient occupancy tax. Every year since, other tax types have transitioned to this initiative, including the annual business license and business tangible property taxes by phasing out the printing and mailing of blank returns to customers who were already recurring online filers with CAPP.
The paperless initiative aims to reduce business tax return processing delays resulting from recurring issues such as:
- Return mail, undeliverable addresses
- Multiple submissions of the same tax filing; online and paper version
- Illegible handwriting
- Incomplete fields
- Missing or illegible postmarks resulting in late filing penalties
- Third parties replicating versions of the tax returns with inaccurate data and missing barcodes
Other benefits to managing business tax accounts on CAPP include:
- Fast, secure, and convenient online submission with immediate confirmation
- Ability to file in a timely manner up to midnight EST on the due date
- One stop access to all business documents and records
- Avoid tax returns lost in the mail or placed in the wrong mailbox that may compromise business information.
- Avoid delayed postal mailings and receipt of correspondence
- Safe and contactless correspondence
- Reduced clutter and paper to be stored, shredded, or discarded
- Continuity of COR business services during events beyond our control
- County printing, postage, and labor cost savings that can be allocated towards improved business services
For questions, contact the Business Tax Division at 703-228-3060.