Street sweeping removes accumulated debris and pollutants such as sand, salt, metals, petroleum products and bacteria before they wash into streams, the Potomac River and Chesapeake Bay. Street sweeping includes both commercial and residential areas. Approximately 814 lane miles are swept countywide.
Street Sweeping Preparation
Arlington’s 59 civic associations have been grouped into 14 street sweeping zones. Street sweeping occurs yearly from April-October. Citizens are asked to move their cars from their streets so that the street sweepers can provide more effective sweeping. View the Residential Street Sweeping Zone Map.
Beginning in July 2019, the frequency of passes were reduced from seven to four passes per year for residential zones due to budget reductions. Residential zones are now swept April, June, August and October. Zone borders were also updated to increase efficiency.
Street Sweeping Checklist
- Check the online schedule for your zone’s street sweeping day.
- Prepare your street:
- Street sweeping hours are from approximately 7:30 a.m.-3 p.m. Make sure to move your car to a driveway or garage on your scheduled day.
- If you have any trees on your property that overhang to the curb, try to prune any low hanging limbs. Do not prune any limbs on trees between the sidewalk and the curb as these may be publicly-owned trees.
- Remind your neighbors about street sweeping day.
- Sign up for street sweeping and leaf season listserv email updates in the box to the right on this webpage.
Do you know of an area that could benefit from street sweeping, or have you spotted debris along our streets? Contact Daniel Gray with your street sweeping request. Be sure to include a detailed description of the location.
Litter control includes hand and vacuum collection of debris along predetermined routes, primarily business and commercial areas, and heavily traveled pedestrian routes. For additional information or requests, call 703-228-5000.
Volunteer to keep our neighborhoods clean! Learn more about adopting a section of road.