Moderate-Income Purchase Assistance Program (MIPAP)
MIPAP is OPEN to eligible first-time homebuyers purchasing in Arlington County.
For first-time buyers purchasing a home in Arlington, this program provides a deferred-payment, no-interest loan of up to 25% of the home purchase price. The loan may be used to cover a portion of the down payment and all closing costs. The MIPAP loan acts as a 2nd Mortgage. The 1st Mortgage must be a conventional loan from a lender approved by VHDA (Virginia Housing Development Authority).
MIPAP uses a shared appreciation model, which means there are no interest or monthly loan payments over the course of the loan. Instead, when a homebuyer chooses to sell or refinance the property, an appraisal will determine if the property has increased in value. If the property value has increased, the homebuyer would owe the County the original loan amount plus a proportionate share of the net appreciation (up to 25%).
2022 MIPAP and Affordable Dwelling Unit (ADU) Income Limits
*Limits reflect gross total of all household income sources. Income limits are published (normally within the month of April) annually by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and are effective immediately upon publication.
||Gross Annual Income Limit / Maximum
- Property must be located in Arlington County
- Eligible property types:
- Single-family properties (i.e. detached, duplex, townhouse)
- Multi-family properties (i.e. condominiums)
- Maximum purchase price: $500,000
- Maximum loan amount: Lesser of 25% of purchase price, or $112,500
- Minimum down payment: 1% of the purchase price
- Minimum credit score: 660
- MIPAP is a 2nd trust loan. Potential borrowers must obtain approval for a 1st trust loan from an approved mortgage lender prior to applying.
- Register and attend a free Virginia Housing Homebuyer Class (703-527-3854).
- Obtain 1st trust pre-approval from an approved lender.
- Download and complete the MIPAP pre-approval application and gather all required documentation.
- Contact the Arlington County Housing Division to request access to the secure document portal. Submit MIPAP pre-approval application and all required documents to the portal.
- Application review may take up to 60 days.
- If pre-approved, borrower will receive a MIPAP pre-approval certification indicating the maximum loan amount.