Block Party Permit

Submission Requirements

Block party permit applications must be submitted online.

  • You must complete a Block Party Permit Application in Permit Arlington.
    • From the Create drop-down menu in the Permit Arlington system, select Building Application. Then select Block Party.
    • View Permit Arlington Help for assistance with the online system.
  • Submit the online permit application a minimum of five (5) business days prior to the preferred block party date.
  • Full payment of fees is required before permit issuance. Online payment via eCheck or credit card is available.
  • You must include the following information:
    • Applicant’s name, address, phone number and email
    • Date and time of block party (including rain date if applicable)
    • Street name that will be closed from intersection to intersection
    • ID numbers of any parking meters impacted by the block party
    • Map of block party location
  • Applicants receive their block party permits by email.

Additional Information

  • Each block party request is limited to one (1) block.
  • All residents on the street segment to be closed must be notified at least 48 hours in advance of the event and provided with the event coordinator’s contact information.
  • Residents must have vehicular access to their homes during the block party.
  • No placement of grills, tables, chairs or other equipment in the street.
  • The sale or consumption of alcohol on public property is prohibited.
  • Amplified music or speaking is prohibited.
  • No permit will be issued if the block party conflicts with any known event or business in the area.
  • County-issued barricades will be delivered to the applicant’s address or an alternative address provided by the applicant that is within the limits of the block party. Delivery times vary.
    • Note: On days of major events or on holiday weekends, the County may not be able to supply barricades for block parties. Barricade fees will not be assessed if there are no barricades available for a block party. The event coordinator will be notified and directed to obtain barricades from a private rental company.

You may need a Special Event Permit instead of a block party permit if:

  • Street closure exceeds one (1) block for the event, or
  • The event includes alcohol or amplified sound

Contact Special Events staff at 703-228-1876 or


Fee Schedules provide the range of fees charged for each type of application or activity related to land development in Arlington. Fees cover permitting, plan review, enforcement, inspection, service delivery, performance agreements and conditions. There are separate fee schedules for Inspection Services Division (ISD), Zoning and the Department of Environmental Services (DES). Some permits involve fees from more than one schedule.