About the Program
Permit Arlington is a County-wide initiative to improve land development, building, and permitting processes that includes a new online permitting system, refreshed website, and centralized space for in-person customer visits. Both physical and virtual spaces aim to achieve a transformative customer experience.
- Streamline business processes
- Enhance technology and communication tools
- Deliver excellent customer service
- Increase transparency and accountability
Customer Experience Vision
One team, one voice, delivering a responsive permitting experience driven by understanding and listening to our customer needs
- Centralized customer service seamlessly integrated with an intuitive online user experience
- A knowledgeable and friendly team providing consistent information
- Convenient and transparent from start to finish
The first step in realizing the customer experience vision and achieving program goals occurred in early 2019, when County staff consolidated in-person services for permitting customers in the Permit Arlington Center. Until that time, permitting services for land development and building were distributed among different floors of the Bozman Government Center at 2100 Clarendon Boulevard.
In September 2019, Phase I of the Permit Arlington online system launched with over 30 permit and application types. In February 2023, the final customer-facing application was moved into the new system. All 52 land development and permitting application types can now be submitted online. In the future, staff will continue to develop the system by adding complaint and enforcement activities into Permit Arlington.
Return to Permit Arlington Home