The Arlington County Permit Office is CLOSED for in-person customer service. Many services are available online. Learn more.
An oversize/overweight transport permit allows the transport of oversized or overweight vehicles or loads on Arlington County streets. This permit is required in addition to any state hauling permits that apply to state roads only.
If a vehicle exceeds the maximum dimensions identified below, an oversize/overweight transport permit is required for the vehicle to travel on Arlington County streets.
Maximum Dimensions (from Virginia Hauling Permit Manual)
- Single Axle Weight: 20,000 pounds or 650 pounds per inch (width) of tire in contact with the surface of the road
- Tandem Axle Weight: 34,000 pounds
- Gross Weight: See 24VAC20-81-60. Legal Weight Allowed Based on Axle Spacing.
- Width: 8 feet 6 inches excluding mirrors. Safety devices shall not exceed 3 inches on each side.
- Height: 13 feet 6 inches
- Single Unit: 40 feet excluding load
- Tractor semitrailer combination: 65 feet including load
- Combination of a towing vehicle and any manufactured housing: 65 feet including load and coupling
- Semitrailer: 53 feet, provided that the semitrailer has a distance of not more than 41 feet between the kingpin of the semitrailer and the rearmost axle or a point midway between the rear tandem axles. May be prohibited on certain highways where posted.
All oversize/overweight transport permit applications must be submitted online.
- You must submit an Oversize/Overweight Transport Permit Application.
- From the Create drop-down menu, select Building Application. Then select Oversize/Overweight Transport.
- View Permit Arlington Help for assistance with the online system.
- Submit the online permit application a minimum of five (5) business days prior to preferred permit start date.
- Full payment of fees is required prior to permit issuance. Online payment via eCheck or credit card is available.
- The online application requires the following information:
- Applicant’s name, address, phone number and email
- Transport date(s) and time(s)
- Dimensions and weight of vehicle/equipment
- Description of load (if applicable)
- Description of any special needs along the route or at destination (e.g., curbside parking closure, bus stop closure, closure of streets, traffic control assistance, overhead wire removal)
- Map of transport route within the County limits
- Applicants receive their oversize/overweight transport permits by email.
- Depending on the location and impact of the permit request, police assistance may be required for traffic control and pedestrian safety. If County staff indicate that police assistance may be required, the permit applicant must notify the Police Department at least five (5) business days prior to the transport so a determination can be made about the need for police support. There is a fee for police assistance.
- No permit can be issued if it would conflict with a current permit holder in the same location, or an event or business in the area.
- Unless otherwise permitted, standard hours of operation for work within the County right-of-way are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Work is prohibited during morning and evening commuter rush hours, 7 a.m.-9 a.m. and 4 p.m.-6 p.m.
- Weekend work hours, if requested, will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
- Night work—9 p.m.-7 a.m. on weekdays, 9 p.m.-10 a.m. on weekends—may require that an exemption request to the Noise Control Ordinance be submitted to Code Enforcement in addition to securing other necessary permits.
Fee Schedules provide the range of fees charged for each type of application or activity related to land development in Arlington. Fees cover permitting, plan review, enforcement, inspection, service delivery, performance agreements and conditions. There are separate fee schedules for ISD, Zoning and the Department of Environmental Services (DES). Some permits involve fees from more than one schedule.