The Code of Virginia empowers the Zoning Administrator to interpret the Zoning Ordinance when there is a need for clarity in the application and administration of zoning regulations; either generally or as applied to a specific property. The Zoning Administrator can only issue a determination at the request of a property owner of record or the owner’s authorized agent. Although the Code of Virginia allows the Zoning Administrator up to 90 days to respond to any written request, typical determination requests are completed within 30-45 days of receipt.
Zoning Determinations are also issued to memorialize lot buildability for nonconforming “R” district lots, per Zoning Ordinance §16.1, and street setback averaging reductions for one- and two-family dwellings, per §3.2.6.A.1(e).
Zoning determinations must be applied for online.
Requests should be accompanied by the following supplemental information:
- Statement specifying the subject of the determination
- Letter of consent from owner of record
- Certified plat of the property (for lot buildability and street setback averaging requests)
- Copy of deed of ownership (for lot buildability requests)
- Certified setback survey for all dwellings on the same side of the street as the property (for street setback averaging requests)
Fee Schedules provide the range of fees charged for each type of application or activity related to land development in Arlington. Fees cover permitting, plan review, enforcement, inspection, service delivery, performance agreements and conditions. There are separate fee schedules for Inspection Services Division (ISD), Zoning and the Department of Environmental Services (DES). Some permits involve fees from more than one schedule.