You have been issued a citation for a compliance issue. If you demonstrate compliance with the law (i.e., fix the problem), the Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office will dismiss the charge, and you will not have to pay a fine. Compliance issues are:
- Expired or no state inspection
- Expired or no state registration
To demonstrate compliance and have the charge dismissed without paying a fine:
- You must appear in person in the Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office with your photo ID, proof of compliance, and your citation. We do not accept compliance dismissals via email, fax, or phone.
- Bring proof that you have renewed either your registration or inspection (depending on the violation on your ticket).
- You have up to 30 days from the date of issuance of the citation to bring in proof of compliance.
- If you have received compliance citations on multiple days the Commonwealth’s Attorney retains discretion over which tickets will be dismissed.
If you were issued a citation for a violation that existed for more than 90 days at the time the citation was issued the above procedure does not apply and you must follow the procedures for requesting a court date to contest your citation and appear in court.
PROOF OF COMPLIANCE DOCUMENTS MUST BE PRINTED. NO ELECTRONIC DEVICES (CELLPHONES, LAPTOPS, TABLETS, ETC.) ARE ALLOWED IN THE COURTHOUSE BUILDING.
The Commonwealth’s Attorney’s office does not accept payments for citations.
LOCATION AND HOURS FOR COMPLIANCE DISMISSAL REQUESTS
Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office
1425 N Courthouse Road, Suite 5200 (5th floor)
Arlington, Virginia 22201
8:30 AM-5:00 PM, Monday-Friday