The Arlington County Police Department seeks qualified police officers to join our team of dedicated sworn and civilian employees as a lateral transfer. We serve a diverse, urban and engaged community with an emphasis on community policing and problem solving, in support of the Department’s key initiatives: community engagement, transportation safety, and crime prevention and control.
Joining our team as a law enforcement officer has unique benefits and provides challenging opportunities.
- $68,503.50 annual starting pay
- 25 Year Retirement (No Age Limit)
- Patrol officers work the equivalent of a 37.5 hour work week with 4 and 5 days off at a time
- All new hires receive a $3,000 signing bonus
- Lateral officers may be eligible for a higher pay grade and leave accrual rate upon hire; all applications are reviewed on a case-by-case basis and salaries are commensurate with prior law enforcement experience (including military law enforcement) up to 10 years with a maximum starting salary of $87,789. All lateral officers must successfully pass the one-year probationary period after completion of Field Training.
Becoming a Lateral Officer with the Arlington County Police Department
A Virginia lateral transfer officer is someone that is already a Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Cervices Certified Law Enforcement Officer. The lateral transfer officer must be currently employed as a law enforcement officer in Virginia in order to be exempt from taking the police entrance exam. All out of state laterals, depending on years of experience, may need to complete either a modified or basic academy for Virginia Certification.
- All lateral transfers must successfully complete the Field Training Program
- Will be assigned to a fixed shift with rotating days off upon successful completion of field training
- Must pass the one-year probationary period following the completion of field training
MORE: Read About Our Minimum Qualifications
Equal Opportunity Employer The Arlington County Police Department makes every effort to recruit qualified individuals from all backgrounds to serve our unique community. We are proud of the diversity across all positions and ranks within ACPD.