Applicants will be screened during a preliminary background investigation. Individual situations will be evaluated on a case by case basis, however, a good driving record and a clean criminal history are considered essential. Candidates who have engaged in any activity that would support a felony conviction are unlikely to receive favorable consideration. Misdemeanor convictions for crimes relating to theft, domestic violence, or assault are likely to be disqualifying. Recent convictions for D.U.I., or D.W.I, as well as multiple convictions for speeding or other moving violations may also result in disqualification.
Applicants must meet the below requirements related to substance use:
- Marijuana: No use from the date of application, regardless of location of use (includes states/countries where usage may be legal.)
- Illegal Drugs – Schedule 1 Drugs (drugs never prescribed for any legitimate medical purpose): No use within three (3) years preceding the date of application.
- Prescription Drugs/Legally Obtained Substances: Schedule 2 Drugs (medicinal drugs not used in a manner consistent with what they are prescribed for): No non-prescribed/unauthorized use from the date of application.
- Anabolic Steroids: No non-prescribed/unauthorized use within two years of the date of application.
- Having sold, distributed, or manufactured any prescription or illegal drugs without legal authorization may result in automatic disqualification.
Pursuant to Virginia Code § 15.2-1705, applicants are not required to disclose information concerning any arrest or criminal charge against them that has been expunged.