The Arlington County Police Department was formed on February 1, 1940 with nine members. While a lot has changed in Arlington County since then, our dedication to providing high quality police services to the residents, visitors and businesses of Arlington County has not.
Today, the Arlington County Police Department has over 350 sworn officers and approximately 100 civilian members serving the public. Operationally, the County is divided into 10 police beats and officers forge relationships with their respective geographically based civic associations, business alliances, and community organizations. In addition to proactively patrolling Arlington County, the police department provides various services, to include:
Arlington County Police – February 1, 1940
The mission of the Arlington County Police Department is the reduction of the incidence of crime and the improvement of the quality of life in Arlington County by making it a place where all people can live safely and without fear.
- Courage – We are willing to confront internal and external challenges. We recognize the dangers inherent in our profession and are willing to place the safety of others above our own.
- Competence – We are knowledgeable and proficient in the performance of our responsibilities. We assess our actions to improve performance.
- Commitment – We pledge to fulfill our missions by being accountable to our community, our department, and to each other.
- Compassion – We care about the well-being of all members of our department and community. We treat everyone with dignity and respect.
- Integrity – We are committed to the highest standards of honesty and ethical conduct, which are the cornerstones of our profession. We uphold the public trust and our commitment to our core values.
- Restraint – We exercise self-discipline and control at all times to model behavior for our peers and community.
- Respect – We recognize the authority we hold and will treat others as we would like to be treated. We faithfully, and without bias, honor our obligations to the community.