The AC 55+ Travel Program has been much loved by Arlingtonians since 1971. As a part of Department of Parks and Recreation's (DPR) Office of 55+ Programs, 55+ Travel serves a broad spectrum of seniors from all of Arlington as well as neighboring communities. The travel program delivers fun and rewarding social experiences to some of the area’s best:
- Live theater and concerts
- Museums and art galleries
- Sporting events and casinos
- Shopping and dining
- Scenic train, bus and boat tours
Exploring the region has never been easier with AC 55+ Travel. We handle the details, leaving you to enjoy yourself on a stress-free outing.
- Transportation on an accessible coach bus
- Reserved seating at concerts and events
- Friendly, diverse travelers – a great way to meet new friends
- Trips are supervised by trained volunteers
- Trips are planned by members of the 55+ community
Day Trips by Bus ... What to Expect
Secure your spot by pre-registering for a trip - make sure to note the start of the upcoming registration process. Once registered you will board the bus at one of the several senior locations listed for each trip.
AC 55+ Travel conducts trips every month. Trips are advertised in the Arlington 55+ Guide. The first step in your journey: register for the Arlington County 55+ Pass. Questions about registering, then call 703-228-4747, Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. If you have specific questions about your trip you are registered for, then please call 703-228-4748 (TTY: 711), Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. During inclement weather times please remember to check our inclement weather hotline at 703-228-4715 or our travel hotline at 703-228-4748 for updates.
Check out the latest (PDF, 2MB)(PDF, 2MB)(PDF, 3MB)(PDF, 2MB)(PDF, 3MB)(PDF, 3MB)(PDF, 3MB)(PDF, 374KB)(PDF, 2MB)(PDF, 1MB)55+ Travel newsletter(PDF, 2MB)
with reminders for travelers, upcoming trip information, and much more!
View Upcoming Trips(PDF, 612KB)
55+ Trip Sign Up Procedures
HOW TO REGISTER IN PERSON, BY PHONE OR BY MAIL FOR 55+ TRIPS:
Arlington County Residents are given priority for program registration; for example, residents will register on one day and non-residents the following day. Please check in the 55+ Guide for upcoming registration dates.
- In-person by visiting a 55+ Center, or DPR's Administrative Services Office at 300 N. Park Drive, 22203 (first floor)
- Online by following detailed instructions below (see next section)
- By phone by calling 703-228-4747, Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- By mail to 300 N. Park Drive, 22203 (include trip # on the check). Make checks payable to Treasurer, Arlington County.
* Returned Check Fee is $50.
INTERNATIONAL REGISTRATIONS For security reasons, our registration system does not allow for connections outside the United States. If you know you will be traveling internationally during our registration period and would like to register for a class or two, please contact the Administrative Services Office (703-228-4747) in advance.
HOW TO REGISTER ONLINE FOR 55+ TRIPS:
- To register online, go to https://registration.arlingtonva.us and enter your login ID and Password.
- Enter your login ID and password. If this is your first time and don’t know your ID and password, call 703-228-4747.
- A new web page will appear.
- Once logged in, click on the “55 Plus” menu picture box (scroll down) and then click on “Search 55+ Trips” when a new web page appears.
- Select the month your trip is in and then the trip you are interested in. Click the checkbox (check will appear in box). Then select “Add to Cart” at the bottom of the screen. Trips with a red circle have no space available, trips with a yellow circle are those with a waitlist (which you can add your name to). If the trip has reached the limit for online registration, you may call the 55+ Travel Office to inquire about space availability at 703-228-4748.
- Select the name of the individual you are registering and continue.
- Select “Continue” to proceed the transaction. If you have more trips to add to you virtual shopping cart then select “Continue Shopping”.
- When you are finished, pay by credit card (Arlington County does not accept American Express). A 2.5% fee is charged by our credit card processor. Customers paying by credit card pay the fee directly to the credit card processor. Arlington County does not receive any portion of the fee. Pay online by E-CHECK to avoid the surcharge. Learn more.
Heads Up Travelers!
- You need a 55+ Pass to travel with us (except for first-time guests - age 55 and older).
- Bus leaves PROMPTLY from each site at specified time.
- Return times are estimated.
- Checks, credit cards, or money order are the preferred method of payment (Arlington County does not accept American Express).
- Payment must be received within 3 business days or space will be released.
- Returned Check Fee is $50.
- During inclement weather times please remember to check our inclement weather hotline at 703-228-4715 or our travel hotline at 703-228-4748 for updates.
- Outside the US? For security reasons, our servers do not allow connections from outside the US. If you know you will be traveling internationally during our registration period and would like to register for a class or two, please contact the Administrative Services Office (703-228-4747) in advance.
Checks, credit cards, or money order are the preferred method of payment (Arlington County does not accept American Express).
If paying by check, please make checks payable to ‘Treasurer, Arlington County’, with trip date, trip code number and pick-up location on check memo line, and mail to:
DPR Administrative Services Office
300 N. Park Drive
Arlington VA 22203
Remember that payments for trip reservations must be received within three working days, or reservations may be cancelled due to non-payment.
Refund Policy For Trips
- No refunds are granted on any trips which require meal reservations, tickets or chartered transportation unless staff is able to sell your reserved space.
- No refunds within 48 hours of trip departure time.
- Phone 703-228-4748 (voicemail) and leave a detailed message for requests for refunds for 55+ trips.
- Barcroft: Parking is in the garage; Pick up in the front of the center.
- Gunston: Parking and Pick-up in the lower parking lot down the hill from the entrance to the school and just north of the tennis courts and soccer fields, and NOT by the community center.
- Thomas Jefferson (TJ): Parking and Pick-up are in the parking lot to the right of the tennis courts, and NOT in front of the community center.
- Madison: Parking is in regular lots; Pick up in the front of the center.
- Walter Reed: Parking is in the back lot; Pick-up in front of the center.
When meal choices are advertised, indicate your choice when you register. A dollar sign ($) means lunch or shopping is on your own (bring extra money), a fork and knife symbol means the meal is included in the stated price.
Drop-Ins & Registration
Drop-in classes are ongoing programs that participants can join anytime with a valid 55+ Pass. Any program listed as a drop-in does not require pre-registration. All programs have a capacity limit and may fill up. Unless designated as drop-in, all programs require pre-registration. Registration automatically closes two business days prior to the start of the program. For questions, contact the Administrative Services Office at 703-228-4747.
Inclement Weather Closings and Cancellations
For info on cancellations and delayed openings, call our Inclement Weather Hotline at 703-228-4715 or your center. You can also check Arlington County’s Emergency Weather page to learn about county-wide closures and delays. Register for Arlington Alerts to receive info via text or email.