Training is required for all new CERT volunteers. Basic Training (new volunteer training) is FREE, offered twice a year, and open to anyone age 14+ who lives, works, attends school, or volunteers in Arlington County. Minors (ages 14-17) must have a parent present during trainings to be able to attend.
Basic Training consists of eight, 2.5-hour classes held over six weeks. Classes are taught by local emergency response/management personnel and include lecture, discussion, and hands-on learning.
Areas of training include:
- Disaster Threats in Arlington County
- Personal and Family Preparation and Safety
- Recognizing and Treating Life-Threatening and Non-Life-Threatening Emergencies
- Triage and Treatment Area Management
- Incident Command System
- Disaster Psychology
- Fire Safety Techniques
- Light Search and Rescue Operations
The final session includes a practical exam comprised of disaster simulations to give trainees the ability to apply their newly acquired skills in a semi-realistic environment.
Sign up for CERT Basic Training today!