- Can entrance be as close to Courthouse Road as possible on the 14th St. side of the building?
- Can Center entrance be flipped with the main entrance so the Homeless Center’s entrance is closer to Courthouse Road?
- Will the clients be allowed to hang out (loiter) near the shelter?
- Will panhandling be tolerated?
- Because of Code and current/planned uses of the building, entrance location choice is limited to a 20-foot span on the 14th St. N side. Entry would be 30 feet from the Troy St. corner.
- Center staff would monitor the property and discourage lingering, panhandling and other nuisance behaviors, which would be specifically addressed in the behavior contract all clients sign.
Loading Dock and Screening:
- Limit hours of operation for loading dock (set hours of operation to not disrupt neighbors) to keep noise to a minimum.
- Have designated Dumpster areas that are enclosed with a fence or screening; currently they are dropped and block the loading zone.
- Raise the existing wall or replace it with an 8’ high treatment.
- Split decision on the open wall vs. solid, some feel the fencing or lattice type façade would provide a sense of security of seeing past the wall and if anyone is visible, others feel the solid wall would be better.
- Have loading dock screening duplicate the design and materials of the neighbor’s new fencing at the rear entrance to their building to stay consistent.
- Loading dock would be subject to County ordinances limiting use to 6 a.m. – 10 p.m.
- Dumpsters would be enclosed in fenced/gated area of service alley.
- An 8-foot wall would be installed between the service alley and adjacent property.
- Wall would be 20 feet from sidewalk/building line for good pedestrian visibility.
- Design would be compatible with local architecture.
- Gate would not be added to the loading area, because the service alley is the emergency egress path from the building to the street.
- Comments were positive on location and management of the area.
- The proposed design would keep the smoking area in the location currently being used and more formally delineate it.
- Repair sidewalk at corner of Courthouse Rd. and 14th Street North, outside of Ragtime.
- Increase the sidewalk width at the 14th Street side of the building. Install a new sidewalk on the Troy Street side of the facility.
- Repairs would be made to the sidewalk adjacent to the Ragtime entrance.
- Current sidewalk widths are appropriate for anticipated pedestrian traffic. Widening sidewalk on 14th St. would require elimination of on-street parking.
Sleeping Configuration/Window Treatments:
- Individuals expressed concern that the men’s sleeping quarters are located on the Troy Street side of the facility, facing their residence. They suggested switching sleeping areas.
- Opaque glass was preferred for the sleeping areas for both men and women on the third floor with a clearstory to allow light to enter the spaces during the day.
- Designers studied sleeping configuration thoroughly. The Center would serve more men than women. The proposed design would allow for the most efficient flow of people from the entry to registration, dining area, and sleeping area. It would provide privacy for the respite beds, for the women’s sleeping area, and for the bathrooms.
- Alternative window treatments under consideration would allow for balance between privacy and natural lighting.
- Where is kitchen exhaust?
- Kitchen exhaust would be located in service alley between third and fourth floors.
- Will the space be flexible? Seems like only a small amount of space is actually planned for sleeping?
- Sleeping space would be sufficient for up to 80 people. RPC shelter and Detention Center lobby can be used if needed for overflow, as is the current practice. People may also be sent to nearby, non-Arlington shelters if space is available.
- Will the shelter be recording any information about the clients in case there is an incident?
- Information provided by clients would include their name. If a client disclosed that he or she has an outstanding warrant, shelter staff would notify appropriate authorities.