Arlington County Efforts to Address Homelessness
Strategic Plan to Prevent and End Homelessness
Arlington, Virginia’s Continuum of Care (CoC) is currently in the process of updating its Strategic Plan to Prevent and End Homelessness. To find out more and how you can contribute to the plan, please click here.
2023 Point in Time (PIT) Count Trends (2014 – 2023)
Each year, the Continuum of Care conducts a Point in Time Count to understand the scope of homelessness in our community. Please see more details about year to year trends here: 2023 PIT Snapshot.pdf(PDF, 332KB)
Arlington County has a core network of interconnected programs and services (called a Continuum of Care or CoC) to assist people who are experiencing homeless or at risk of experiencing homeless.
- The CoC includes County government programs/services, on-profit organizations, people with lived experience, and other stakeholders working to address homelessness in Arlington, Virginia.
- The CoC provides a foundation for broader community partnerships and an aligned strategic framework focused on preventing homelessness before it occurs and assisting individuals and families experiencing homelessness in accessing safe and stable permanent housing as quickly as possible.
- If you're interested in applying to become a member of the CoC, please find additional details and a member application here.
To learn more about our CoC’s progress, please read our latest annual report.
Action Plan to End Homelessness
Arlington County’s homeless response system is guided by its strategic plan (the successor of the 10 Year Plan to End Homelessness). Within Our Reach: Our Community’s Commitment to Prevent and End Homelessness lays out strategies for continued work to reduce the number of persons who experience homelessness, and to assist those who are experiencing homelessness to return to housing stability as quickly as possible.
In February of 2021 and as the three-year plan was meeting its deadline, the Continuum of Care determined to amend and extend the existing strategic plan an additional 18 months. The CoC’s recommendation included:
- A commitment to its existing principles, goals and strategies already named Within Our Reach
- Elevating and addressing critical gaps identified in an analysis of work done to date and underway:
- Racial Equity
- Immigrant and Refugee Households
- Aging Population
DHS Staff: Please contact Arlington County’s Continuum of Care Coordinator, Triina Van at firstname.lastname@example.org or (703) 228-1319 with questions.
Continuum of Care (CoC) Governance
The CoC is governed by a number of Boards and Committees who guide and support implementation of local priorities, resource allocation, and the implementation of its Strategic Plan. The Governance Charter can be found here. More information, including how you can apply to be a member, can be found here.