Name Change

To petition the Court for a name change, you must be at least 18 years old and a resident of Arlington County or the City of Falls Church. To change the name of a minor, both parents, a surviving parent, or a legal guardian must sign and notarize the application.

Adults:  Complete the Application for Change of Name — Adult  

Minors:  Complete the Application for Change of Name — Minor – (Instructions) and Order for Change of Name Minor

The filing fee for a name change is $44.00. Payments may be made by cash; check or money order made payable to “Clerk of the Circuit Court”; or by credit card (Visa, MasterCard or Discover). An additional 4% percent convenience fee applies to all credit card payments.

You may submit your application and name change order by mail, along with a self-addressed stamped envelope to:

Arlington County Circuit Court
Attn: Civil Division
1425 N. Courthouse Road, Suite 6700
Arlington, VA 22201

The processing time is approximately six weeks.

For more information on name changes, contact the Circuit Court at 703-228-7010.