Land Records Division

The Arlington Circuit Court Land Records (Deeds) Office is open to walk-in customers Monday through Friday from 8:00 – 4:00. The Land Records Office is located in Suite 6200, 1425 N. Courthouse Rd, Arlington, VA 22201. Customers are encouraged to utilize eRecording and remote access, whenever possible, for fastest access to documents and recordation services.

The Land Records document search kiosks, ScanPro/microfilm, Xerox copier, and printer are self-serve only. Customers who  need assistance locating their documents may request copies at the Deeds or Judgments counter. The cost for copies is $.50 per page.

Land Records documents dating back through 1869 can now be accessed remotely using Arlington’s ROAM system.  Arlington ROAM (  Indexing (basic) information about each document can be viewed for free on the ROAM website, but, to view images remotely, a subscription to the ROAM service is needed.  Subscriptions cost $50 per month.  However, all Land Records can be viewed from the public kiosks in the Land Records Office for free and copies can be made for $.50 per page.

School Registration? Request a copy of your deed by email. Send name and residence address to Please note “School deed request” in the subject line.
We only provide copies of deeds at no cost for school registration. If you would like a copy of your deed of trust, the cost is .50 per page. Please contact the Land Records office to arrange to come in person or send a letter with payment for the copy of a deed of trust.

For other copy requests during the public health emergency, you may also email with “Land Records document request” in the subject line.


The Virginia General Assembly has made the following recordation tax/fee changes effective July 1, 2020:
     1. 035 VOF (Outdoor Foundation Fund/Open Air) Change: from $1.00 to $3.00
(References: HB 1623, Va. Code 58.1-817)

     2. 145 VSLA (Virginia State Library Fund) Change: from $1.50 to $3.50
(Will apply to all the same document types and each sheet of oversized plats.)
(References: HB 306, Va. Code 17.1-275 (A)(2)

     3. 014 RCRF (Regional Congestion Relief Fee) Additional fee: $0.05 per $100 or fraction thereof
(Will affect the same document types as 015 WMATA)
(References: HB 1414, Va. Code 58.1-802.4)

Questions: Call Robin Baxter 703-228-4369 or Paul Ferguson 703-228-7010.

Fighting discrimination:  Effective July 1, 2020, the Virginia General Assembly instituted a way for property owners to release particular unconstitutional and discriminatory covenants from their property.  (Any restrictive covenant restricting occupancy or ownership of property “on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, elderliness, familial status, or handicap.”)  A form for this Release is found at the link below.  To record a Release, please submit an original signed and notarized form to the Land Records Office with the recordation fee of $31.00.  Any new deeds presented for recordation containing such covenants should not be submitted and will be rejected.  Reference:  Virginia Code sections § 55.1-300 and § 55.1-300.1.

Covenant Release

Land Record Forms  

Search Land Records

Location: 1425 N. Courthouse Rd., Suite 6200, Arlington, VA  22201


Open Hours:

  • Recording:  8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday – Friday
  • Record Room (open for research):  8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday – Friday

The Land Records Division is responsible for:

  • Recording original, signed and notarized documents and maintaining the record of documents affecting the title to real property located in Arlington County and the City of Falls Church.
  • Assessing and collecting required recordation taxes and fees for each document
  • Filing and maintaining the record of judgments and financing statements
  • All documents presented for recordation must be originals and must be signed and notarized prior to recordation.
  • Land Records Services

The Division does not provide:

  • Notary services
  • Information on vital records. Go to Arlington’s Vital Records page for birth certificates, death certificates and marriage/divorce certificates
  • Information on foreclosure sales
  • Property surveys or plats.
    •  A home purchaser often receives a house location survey at the time of settlement.  If you can’t locate your survey, contact the surveyor that prepared the survey, your settlement agent, attorney or lender to inquire if they have it.
    • Obtain plats from the Zoning Division.
  • Form deeds
  • Legal advice (including advice involving what language should be included in a deed and an opinion on the legal implications of language contained in a recorded)
  • Records and information regarding the assessed value of real estate
  • Falls Church records prior to 1988. Documents involving real property located in the City of Falls Church were recorded in the Fairfax County Circuit Court prior to 1988 and remain there.

Find Answers at Frequently Asked Questions

Visit the Frequently Asked Questions page for further information about the operation of the Land Records Division.  The Frequently Asked Questions page provides information regarding recordation fees and requirements, documents available for research in the Land Records Division, and other questions that are commonly received by the Land Records Division.

Effective January 19, 2016 –  Land Records cover sheets are no longer required

Procedure for Recording Deeds Conveying Not More than 4 Residential Units

In an effort to reduce errors in deeds that are recorded in the Arlington County Circuit Court, beginning May 1, 2013, the Clerk of the Circuit Court requires that all deeds conveying not more than four residential units state on the first page of the document that it was prepared either by the owner of the real property or by an attorney licensed to practice law in the Commonwealth of Virginia, consistent with Section 17.1-223 of the Code of Virginia.  The attorney statement must include both the attorney’s name and Virginia State Bar number.  Read the notice.